Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    meepit_defender Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 8, 2007, 09:56 AM
    Religion in Mexico
    Does anyone know what the religion in mexico was before catholicism? I've been searching Google a lot, and can't find anything. I found one link about mayans, but I don't need that. I need help.:)
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Feb 8, 2007, 11:34 AM
    Hi Meepit & Popotito!

Is it possible that Meepit is looking for information on the Aztec religion and culture? I may be wrong but I believe that the Aztec and Mayan people had completely separate cultures and religious beliefs. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Here is a link regarding the Aztecs that I hope will help.

The Aztecs/Mexicas
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 8, 2007, 11:41 AM
    Prior to the spread of Christianity from Europe, the Western Hemisphere was generally tribal in their religious beliefs. The three major civilizations were the Aztecs (northen and central Mexico), the Mayans (southern Mexico and parts of Central America) and the Incans (Peru). The rest of the hemisphere was mostly small scattered tribes like the native Americans of North America and other tribes in South America.

In those times religion and culture were totally intertwined. You didn't have the situation that exists now where church and state are often separate. The Aztec, Incan and Mayan civilizations were their tribe, their government and their religion al wrapped into one.

Maybe if you defined what you are looking for we can help further.
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Feb 8, 2007, 11:43 AM
    Thank you Scott! I forgot about the Incans.
    meepit_defender Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 13, 2007, 08:32 AM
    Thank you. Basically I'm doing a project on mexico. We'll be there for a few weeks and I got to study religion/spirits/gods etc. One of the things I got to study before the trip to prepare is religion before catholicism. I was guessing it had something to do with Mayans, Aztecs, and Incas. Thank you. ^_^
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 13, 2007, 08:54 AM
    Not Incas, they were in Peru. But both Mayans and Aztecs occupied different parts of Mexico.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 5, 2007, 06:07 PM
    An interesting situation you should look into Aztecs had a legond of a "white god" that would come from the east. The Mormoms have adapted that belief into their religon to say Christ actually came to them after he rose and taught them. So they were looking for a god to rise and come out of the east ( judgement day of christianity) so they accepted and though the Spainairds were gods when they first say them appear in great ships out of the east.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Mar 5, 2007, 06:28 PM
    Here is a good source for Aztec history and information:

The Aztecs/Mexicas

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

War with mexico [ 5 Answers ]

Why did the u.s. want California

Enforcing childsupport from Mexico [ 5 Answers ]

Need to force parent to help pay for son. He lives in La Barca Mexico and I live in California U.S. It is only right that the parent in Mexico helps out with his son and he just settled a workers comp case but my son receives nonthing. Any advice on how to get action done. Please

What actor died on boat near Mexico ? [ 5 Answers ]

Back in the late 50's or early 60's there was a TV or movie actor that died aboard a private boat off the coast of Mexico. With him were three Mexican woman companions. I can't remember the name of the actor. Does anyone know with certainty who it was ?

Mexico & panama [ 1 Answers ]

1.what natural feature forms the eastern boundary of mexico? 2. Panama uses two currencies-one is the us dollar and the other one is?

View more questions Search