Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    davidadrian140 Posts: 124, Reputation: 2

Nov 13, 2011, 09:24 PM
    Gas stove oven not working
    Hello everyone. I have a whirlpool gas stove model# sf367LXSQ. I was going to use the oven today and when I went to turn it on it would not turn on. The controls for the oven and broiler are electric. Neither the oven or broiler work. The four burners on top work fine. I'm thinking maybe some kind of ignitor or thermostat. Can anyone tell me what the problem is and how to fix?

Thank you guys for your help.
    drtom4444 Posts: 3,282, Reputation: 145
    Ultra Member

Nov 14, 2011, 09:23 AM
    Attached is a manual to help you troubleshoot the oven. It seems simple because it only has an igniter and a control. My bet is that it's the control which may be a $300 part. DrTom4444
    Attached Images
  1. File Type: pdf Whirlpool_Oven_Manual.pdf (408.9 KB, 2165 views)

Jan 19, 2013, 01:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by drtom4444 View Post
    Attached is a manual to help you troubleshoot the oven. It seems simple because it only has an igniter and a control. My bet is that it's the control which may be a $300 part. DrTom4444
    Okay. I just purchased a brand new control. It's still doing the same thing. When I turn on the oven I'm suppose to here one click followed by the sound of gas igniting. I'm only hearing one click and no gas. I'm trying to test the ignitor but there are three of them. It looks like they have only one wire connected to them. So how would I go about testing them?
    Ultra Member

Jan 19, 2013, 09:23 AM
    Follow the instructions in the manual and follow schematic and you will find which coil or safety is open. Rely on your meter.

Jan 19, 2013, 12:23 PM
    Okay. I'm trying to understand how to read the schematics but I don't understand it. I took out all the ignitors and cleaned them with wool. That didn't help any. Is there a video available showing how to test them?
    Ultra Member

Jan 19, 2013, 07:13 PM
    You can look at this manual: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/8010163/How...e%20Manual.pdf
    You will have to learn to use a meter before you will be able to fix appliances. It's very simple: Ohms is a measure of resistance to current flow; the more ohms the less current flows. Coils have different resistance measures, but in most gas valves you will measure more than 500 ohms up to about 3000 ohms. Never measure power on ohms or it will blow the fuse, unless you have a meter with automatic protection, which you need. Get a book on reading schematics. You need to understand the simple symbols used. Most schematics have legends, but the symbols are universal, mostly. If you have the meter on "volts" and read across a switch, if you read any volts the switch is open or partially so. No voltage across switch indicates a closed switch, if voltage is in the wires connecting to it.

Feb 14, 2013, 12:42 PM
    Hey there, just wanted to do a quick update on stove oven. Well it turns out that
    The gas valve was bad. There wasn't enough voltage to open valve. So purchased a new one and replaced it. Pretty simple. Just want to say Thank You for your help drtom4444 on this problem I had with my stove. Thanks again drtom4444. :)
    Ultra Member

Feb 14, 2013, 03:02 PM
    I'm glad you fixed it. If you are reading across a coil you are reading the voltage dropped across the coil when the power is on. If your number is low then you were right to replace it. I am glad to be able to help you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

My stove gas stove,electric piolit trips the breaker .repairman said it was 'energizi [ 1 Answers ]

GAS STOVE WITH ELECTRIC PILOT TRIPS BREAKER .THE REPAIRMAN SAID IT WAS 'ENERGIZED'? Landlord is replacing stove with gas pilot .will it still be energized/IS THAT DANGEROUS?

Gas oven not working [ 1 Answers ]

:confused:I have a fridgidaire gas self cleaning stove my burners work fine on top of stove but when I turn my oven onto temp. and push the start button it will go to pre heat but the gas does not come trough and it does not try to light what is wrong and how can I fix it thank you

Oven in gas stove will not light, but pilot is on. [ 1 Answers ]

I have a gas stove in my apartment and was going to do some baking. I go to turn on the oven to preheat it and 30 minutes later... no gas, and the strip under the plates on the bottom of the stove is not lit up with fire. The pilot light is working down there and the stove top burners work. So...

Downdraft Stove oven element not working [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Whirlpool Downdraft stove and the lower element has stopped heating up. I have the 'element' but I don't know how to install it. Do you have to remove the stove from the wall? I wouldn't think so, but I can't seem to find a way to install it from 'inside' the stove. Please...

View more questions Search