Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tf489 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Nov 14, 2011, 09:06 AM
    I am a good parent I let my kids have fun to I am sorrybut maybe you need to lossen up and le kids have fun they are back together but they can only hang out with groups never alone
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Nov 14, 2011, 09:11 AM
    Loosen up? Me, I'm the funnest parent around! However, I am a parent first not a friend.

I have a house full of kids all the time. They range from 9 years to 19 years old. I don't need to loosen up. I know how to be a responsible parent.
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Nov 14, 2011, 10:08 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tf489 View Post
    i am a good parent i let my kids have fun to i am sorrybut maybe u need to lossen up and le kids have fun they r back together but they can only hang out with groups never alone
    Loosening up and allowing a 10 year old to date and kiss are 2 completely different things. You need to be able to supervise your child and know where they are and what they're doing because if you don't, this leads to them having no control at all. Pregnancy and drug use are just a few of the things that come to mind that are possible in these situations. I agree with J_9 on this and I also think the negative was wrongfully given.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 14, 2011, 10:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tf489 View Post
    i am a good parent i let my kids have fun to i am sorrybut maybe u need to lossen up and le kids have fun they r back together but they can only hang out with groups never alone
    I have a problem with what's going on here. You first posted this yesterday at 6:40PM. In less than 24 hours, you broke them up, suspected your daughter was sneaking behind your back and now are allowing them to hang out as part of a group.

Sorry, but that seems to be moving too fast, especially since your daughter should have been in school this morning.

As for your being a good parent, we only know what you have told us. Letting a 10 yr old girl "date", especially allowing kissing, is not something a responsible parent will do. So if this was an example of your parenting skills, then it doesn't bode well for other skills.
    Expert

Nov 14, 2011, 02:24 PM
    I'm guessing this is the child, not the parent.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 14, 2011, 02:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    Bingo! I've suspected that from the get-go. The terrible texting and immature phrasing were my first clues, and probably yours too.
    Expert

Nov 14, 2011, 02:40 PM
    I suspected it as well, but just went along with the posts.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 14, 2011, 02:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    Well there is certainly questions about the reality of this.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 14, 2011, 02:43 PM
    I believe it's always best to err on the side of curiosity and obtaining more information. The revelations will usually provide the truth or at least a very strong suspicion of it.
    jenniepepsi Posts: 4,042, Reputation: 533
    Ultra Member

Nov 14, 2011, 03:20 PM
    So... in the 20 minutes between you telling her she can't have him as a boyfriend, she starts sneaking around?
    jenniepepsi Posts: 4,042, Reputation: 533
    Ultra Member

Nov 14, 2011, 03:22 PM
    And now I'm caught up. Lol.
    edaniels1 Posts: 7, Reputation: -1

Nov 15, 2011, 11:43 AM
    Ya I agree with these posts. I have had a total of 11 girls who have come into my life at different stages of development. I have daughters as well. Right now my daughter is 13 going on 20... lol. It takes a lot of effort to listen to your daughters as well. If you don't set boundaries now you will never be able to later. Your daughter needs to feel she is safe because of these boundaries. Even now my 13 year old daughter still needs these and with talking to me she can get a better perspective on things verses asking her friends. As a single father this has been the roughest thing to go through. I am now married but that doesn't mean my new wife can always fill the need to set these boundaries. As a father my first instinct is to lock her up. This is the worst thing any parent can do. This can be the greatest time for you both to establish the communication that will ensure she has a wonderful teen age years. Telling her this is normal is the truth. It starts around 9 years of age for girls. You don't want her thinking she is doing something wrong or that she isn't normal to like this. Then without going outside of her age limit express to her why she needs to refrain from this behavior with boys. And yes she needs limits. She shouldn't want to date till 16 mainly because she can't really go out on a date. Boy crushes I have allowed at 13 but only within school and only if I take the boy with us to dinner or family events, just as I would do with any friend of my daughter. A parent should be teaching their children how to interact with the opposite sex, if not someone else will. This 13 year old boy needs to be told very carefully that there is limits. It's hard when dealing with other peoples kids. It may seems cute to many people, but without getting too judgmental with the other parents I would also open it up in conversation with them before talking to their son. I really hope this helps some.
    DG Posts: 1,375, Reputation: 109
    Ultra Member

Nov 15, 2011, 12:12 PM
    If I saw a 13 year old kiss my 10 year old daughter , my family would have to visit me in jail .

:)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Do I really like the boy I am dating. [ 4 Answers ]

I'm 15 years... and I am dating a boy and I am a bit mixed up with my feelings.. We go out together in the weekend.. and so I pass 4-5 days without each other... but when the weekend arrives I am not oooooo hurrayyy I am going to meet my boy... and sometimes I think if I really like him?. cause I...

Teen Dating girl dating younger boy? [ 8 Answers ]

I'm a 15 year old girl turning 16 in September and I'm in year 10. This boy who I think is reallly cute asked me out the only problem is I found out that he is turning 14 and in year 7! Would it be wrong if I Went out with him considering there is a 2 yr age difference?? :confused:

Dating younger boy [ 4 Answers ]

Im a 15 year old girl and is dating a boy who is 2years 4months younger - he will be 13 next week. I've known him for 14 weeks and have been with him for 6. Believe me when I tell you he is mature for his age, and apparently always have been. He looks 16, speaks maturely (even though he can have...

Boy 16, dating 11 year old girl. Is that OK? [ 13 Answers ]

Is it OK for a teenage boy, 16, to date an 11 year old girl? What is the consensus...

View more questions Search