Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    adnpre Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 13, 2011, 02:31 PM
    Cashing in 401k to buy a house?
    We are 52 years old. We own a home in town but want to buy a hobby farm. We are afraid this wonderful deal is going to get bought before we can sell our home. Can we take out all our money in 401K and just pay the penalties?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 13, 2011, 02:33 PM
    You can if your plan permits, but I would look into a bridge loan. It will probably be cheaper in the long run.
    Dr1757 Posts: 186, Reputation: 25

Nov 13, 2011, 03:02 PM
    In addition to the penalty, you will have to pay federal taxes on any money withdrawn unless it is after tax money you added to your 401k.
    I agree with ScottGem on taking out a bridge loan.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can elderly use all of 401k to buy house [ 2 Answers ]

I want to move to a different area but have been unable to sell the home I have now. I am 75. Can I use the money in my 404K to buy a new house while I continue to try to sell the one I am in now?

Cashing out 401k [ 5 Answers ]

I have recently quit working and am considering cashing in my 401k. Approx how much will I loose compared to rolling it over into a ira and then cashing that in?

Cash in 401K to buy a house? [ 2 Answers ]

I'm considering buying a house this year to take advantage of low mortgage rates and the first-time buyers' $8000 credit. If I can put together a decent down-payment I can get a great interest rate. Making the end-of-year deadline might require cashing in my 401K. I have a small sum in my 401K,...

Cashing out my 401k [ 3 Answers ]

Last year I left my job with $17k in my 401k. I want to re-fi my house which will save me over $11k over the life of the loan, pay off some credit cards and have hard cash on hand. I know I will take a hit on the penalties, taxes and maybe capital gains taxes however, with a newly elected...

Cashing out a 401K [ 1 Answers ]

I know the ramifications of cashing out a 401K early, can be costly. However, I don't know what other options I have at this point. Here is my scenario, please feel free to offer any helpful advice. I just recently quit my job, and have roughly $27,000 in my 401K (after a loan is subtracted). ...

View more questions Search