Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    eric37 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 13, 2011, 01:56 PM
    '97 toyota tercel won't start it turns the motor over but doesn't want to start?
    I have checked fuel pump and changed spark plugs. I have know idea why it won't start or is hard to get started. When it does finally start it runs great so I think that would rule out the timing belt. If you have any suggestions I would appreciate it.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Nov 13, 2011, 02:12 PM
    Remove and fully charge, or replace, the battery. Most auto parts stores will do this for free. Thoroughly clean the battery terminals and cable connections.

If it's somewhat slow to crank, after charging/replacing the battery, focus on the starter motor. Begin by removingg the negative. Battery cable and cleaning the connections to the starter motor. If the problem persists, replace the starter motor.
    kitch428 Posts: 1,440, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Nov 13, 2011, 02:49 PM
    The igniter (ICM) on those models were problematic. When it's not starting, see if you have a good strong spark if any.
    Pull out #3 or 4 plug wire, put a test plug on it, and see if the spark will jump at least one inch while someone is cranking it.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Nov 13, 2011, 04:06 PM
    Kitch is right, if the engine really cranks well--it was unclear to me. I recommend replacing the Ignition Control Module (ICM) and coil every 120,000 miles or 10 years, whichever comes first. ICMs, particularly, are very problematic components. They tend to be very expensive for Toyotas--for your Tercel they cost $350 and up, depending upon the brand.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

96 toyota tercel won't start sometimes? [ 16 Answers ]

Just started doing this. Sometimes it starts and other times it takes 15-20 times. No sound when it don't start like clicking or anything. All the lights are working, new battery & cables. I don't know anything about cars so I need to know what to try next. I take care of my mother and I'm on a...

Motor turns over but truck won't start on toyota tacoma [ 1 Answers ]

1998 Toyota Tacoma won't start. I've put in a new battery, starter, altenator, and relay. The motor will turn over but the truck won't start without being pushed. When it is push started, it will fire right up and run just fine. Any ideas??

95 Toyota Tercel will not start. I have check the battery connection. [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 1995 Toyota Tercel it will not start. I have check the battery connection it good. The panel lights come on, but engine will not turn over (start). Would this be the starter problem.

1990 Toyota Camry (wont start) [ 1 Answers ]

My 1990 Camery won't start! Ive had the battery checked and just put in a new starter because it tested bad. When I turn the key all the lights come on on the dash. It's a 5 speed and runs great if I get a push and start it that way. I'm not sure how to check the ingnition, but was told that it...

Toyota Tercel start up problems [ 2 Answers ]

My 96 Tercel has an occasional start up problem. As I turn the key to start it, there is a momentary sound "jhing"... and then nothing happens. The panel lights remain ON. I have to try several times before it starts. I have had this problem 3 times over the last 2 weeks. The engine is in good...

View more questions Search