Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mltr_l Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 8, 2007, 08:03 AM
    Dual Status Alien Filing jointly?
    My husband and me both moved to America in April 2006 and live here since then. We worked in Germany until then, now he works here. We are Dual status, can we file jointly? When yes, wich forms do we have to use. We have rental income in Germany, what about taxes for that?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 8, 2007, 02:36 PM
    You cannot file jointly if you are dual-status. One can claim the other as a dependent if the dependent has no income.

If both have income, BOTH need to file his/her own dual-status return.

If you need my professional help, contact me at [email protected].
    mltr_l Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 9, 2007, 08:31 AM
    I think we can file jointly, when we declare that we want to be treated as residents for the whole tax year, can't we? I know we have to pay american taxes for our german income then. Can we then deduct our german mortgage payments?
    Must our kids have a SSN for child tax credit?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 10, 2007, 10:27 PM
    Okay, you CAN file jointly and choose to be treated as resident alien, but, in doing so, you make your Germany-based income (to include the rental income) subject to U.S. income taxes.

You WILL be able to deduct the German mortgage payments, real estate taxes and other expenses on Schedule E. You will be able to depreciate the property.

You will be able to claim the Foreign Tax Credit on the income taxes you pay to Germany, using Form 1116.

You will need to apply for an ITIN for your children using Form W-7.

If you want my professional tax help, contact me at [email protected].

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

F1 to H1B Dual Status Alien Tax Question [ 212 Answers ]

I am on H1B from June 1, 2004. I was on F1 until May 31, 2004 on OPT. I cleared the substantial presence test on H1 visa and stayed around 189 days in USA on H1 visa. While I was on my OPT (F1) I was self employed and received a 1099 MISC (non-employee compensastion). I guess I am a Dual -Status...

F1 to H1B Dual Status Alien Tax [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, Dear Atlanta Tax Expert, I entered US as a student on Sept. 2001. I had income from Jan to May 31, 2005 as on OPT and income from June. 1 to the end of 2005 as on H1B. My husband is an international student holding F-1 visa but he does not pass the substantial presence criteria. We both come...

F1 to H1B Dual Status Alien Tax Question [ 1 Answers ]

Hi Atlanta Tax Expert, I was student in US since 2000 and in the middle of 2005 (end of Jun) I passed the substantial presence. I graduated by October and since then I am on H1-B. My wife is an international student holding F-1 visa but she does not pass the substantial presence criterion. I had...

Resident alien or dual status alien [ 3 Answers ]

This topic has been heavily discussed, but the concept is still not clear. I have been on H1 since January 15, 2005 (was on F1/OPT before that). I received a pay-check (approx. $1500) in those 14 days on 2005 that I was on F1 status. Since "I pass the substantial presence test for 2005, I am...

Am I Dual Status Alien? [ 1 Answers ]

Thanks your help. But I am still confused by my status for 2005 tax return. I came in USA on July 9th, 2001 from South Korea. I stayed all year 2002, 2003, and 2004 in USA. I am on H1b from November 1, 2005. I was on F1 until September 31, 2005 on OPT. I got this job on April 25, 2005. ...

View more questions Search