Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jarnal3 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 12, 2011, 06:09 PM
    Curious, came home to shower, found no hot water. Did fast check, found that the res
    Curious, came home to shower, found no hot water. Did fast check, found that the reset button was not "popped" and with "power on" I have power to my lower element, but nothing to the upper element? Curious if the element is bad will it not show power? I do not have a continuity tester however understand how they work. I do have a lightbulb tester showing very bright at lower but nothing at upper element? Any ideas
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Nov 13, 2011, 07:33 AM
    Hi Jarnal3

Each element comes on individually so you should only get a reading from one thermostat or element at a time to start with, so that won't tell us anything here... ;)

Instead, you'll need shut off power going into the water heater (confirm via an electrical tester) and then disconnect the wires from each element and perform continuity tests across the terminals of each element.

If there is a loss of continuity then you will need to replace the defective element. If you have continuity at both elements then plan on replacing the upper and lower thermostats as they are both super super cheap and easy to replace.

Back to you...

Mark

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Trust issue need help fast! I can't sleep, found out info about my girlfriend [ 14 Answers ]

First off I would like to say that I am so grateful that I have found this forum. It's by far the best one out there. Here's my problem and I'm losing a lot of sleep over it. My girlfriend and I have been going out for almost a year now. We had our differences and I am very old fashioned and...

Found uncashed expired check from Mortgage company that has been reorganized [ 1 Answers ]

I recently found an uncashed check in a drawer. It is for $4,000. It is for a refund on a refinance of my home that I still own. It expired 2 years ago in 2007. It is from a mortgage company that has been reorganized (Ameritech). How can I get the Mortgage company or bank to honor it. Please...

New home owner - no hot water in shower, hot water everywhere else. [ 8 Answers ]

Hello, I recently purchased a home built in 1983, the water heater is from 2003. The home is a ranch style with basement. I am able to get scolding hot water from all faucets and from the shower in the basement, however, the main floor shower only gets to about luke warm, not a big deal to me...

View more questions Search