Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    craigd11 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 12, 2011, 12:38 PM
    Dual Status Filing Question
    Hello,

I have been in the U.S. under F-1 status since August 2007. My H-1B was recently approved (as of 1 Nov 2011). According to the IRS guideline, I am supposed to file under dual-status for the current tax year (2011). However, I do not see any advantages of filing under dual-status as compared to non-resident since I do not have any income outside the U.S. in 2011. Am I missing anything here?

Also, is there any way I can claim American Opportunity Credit for the year? I understand that dual-status filings are not allowed to. But I have read that if I file an extension and wait until I meet SPT in 2012, I can file 1040 for the tax year 2011? Then again, that information seems to bit outdated.

Your help is greatly appreciated, thanks.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Nov 13, 2011, 10:07 AM
    You are nonresident for 2011.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Nov 14, 2011, 10:09 AM
    You CAN file dual-status under First Year Choice, but it will require that you WAIT until around 12 June 2012 before you can file in order to meet the Substantial Presence Test.

The only advantage to filing dual-status is that, in the poast, it qualified you to get the Making work Pay Credit of about $400. However, that credit is currently NOT being offered for tax year 2011. That being the case, MukatA's advice that you are a non-resident alien applies.

The only way to claim the education credit is to file as a resident, and you can do that ONLY IF you are MARRIED.

If you need professional help to file, email me at [email protected].

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

E-filing for dual status [ 1 Answers ]

I'm dual status how can I e-file ? I'm now outside of the US an I can have an automatic 2 month extension. Then can I e-fil after April 15 ?

H1B / H4 , filing status , dual status [ 1 Answers ]

I am an Indian Citizen who entered US along with my spouse for the first time on 30 March 2007 on H1-B Visa. Since then, I have not changed my visa status to any other visa and I have not travelled outside US. My spouse is on H4 visa. I have the following questions: 1. Am I dual status...

Dual-status filing, and L1 [ 3 Answers ]

I moved to US last July 15th under a L1 visa, so I'll have 169 days by the end of this year. According to https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/taxes/criteria-dual-status-filing-64475.html I may chose to fill taxes under non-resident alien or as resident-alien, but there's no obligation by law to use...

Dual Status Filing [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I am from India. For the year of 2006, I was on OPT from Jan through March and on H-1B from April through December... I have two W-2 forms... So I assume that I should file my taxes as a dual status alien... Is that true? If yes, I understand that I should file two forms (1040 and...

Criteria for Dual-Status Filing [ 0 Answers ]

Ladies and Gentlemen: I spoke with the International Tax representatives at the IRS in mid-January. I was not satisfied with some guidance I had received regarding the requirements of dual-status tax reporting. Here is the new guidance direct from the IRS: Dual-status is required if the...

View more questions Search