Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cloud1159 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 12, 2011, 10:34 AM
    Work in NY. Live in NJ. Has IL Driver's License. Which tax do I pay?
    Hi,

I work in NY, currently live in NJ, but still has IL driver's license since I moved from IL to NJ last year.

1. Which tax do I pay in this case?

2. On my paystub, it looks like I'm paying for the federal tax plus NY state tax. Is this correct?

3. Will I need to pay both NJ and IL tax if I keep my IL license?

4. Do I need to change my IL license to NJ license to prove that I currently reside in NJ?

Please help.

Thanks!
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Nov 13, 2011, 11:55 AM
    The Illinois driver's license has NO bearing on your tax returns.

You will file BOTH New York and New Jersey returns. You will pay taxes to New York, and claim a tax credit on the New Jersey return for the New York taxes paid, so it is likely that NO taxes will be due for New Jersey.

Because no taxes will be due to New Jersey, no NJ taxes should be withheld.

BTW, transfer your driver's license to New Jersey.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I work in Alaska and live in Utah. Do I need to pay Utah state income tax? [ 7 Answers ]

I live in Utah but I work in Alaska. All of my income is made in Alaska. Do I need to file a state return with Utah?

Driver's license from a state, live in another state, work in a different one [ 8 Answers ]

I just moved from MI to NYC but I will start work in NJ. Is the lease that I started for a place in NYC enough to prove my NY residency? Or do I have to also change my driver's license (which currently is from MI)? I am basically trying to figure out how to avoid having MI taxes still deducted...

Do I pay mass tax if I live in nh and work in nh but my company is based in mass? [ 1 Answers ]

Please help! I am a plumber and live in NH. I have worked for two different companies which are based in MASS. One company I only worked in NH and they were taking out MASS tax until I asked them not to, they already took out 800.00. But they did provide me with a letter stating that I worked 0...

Do I have to pay NY SUI/SDI tax if I live in Long Island and work in NYC? [ 1 Answers ]

I live in Long Island and work in NYC for the past 16 years. I have not paid any NY city tax and NY SUI/SDI. I just started a new job and they deducted both from my pay check. I know for sure I don't have to pay NY City tax but please confirm I don't have to pay NY SUI/SDI neither? Thanks.

I work in MASS but live in NYC - do I have to pay MASS tax? [ 1 Answers ]

I live NYC but work in MASS most of the time. Do I have to have Mass taxes withheld?

View more questions Search