Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    twistedlife Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 11, 2011, 09:18 PM
    I have a 1993 toyota camry LE 4cyl. After engine warm it cuts off and no start
    After my engine gets warm , check eng light comes on and something on and off then pow it dies on me, then try to start , turns over but doesn't do anything, wait at least 10-20 minutes it will start and repeat the same thing, TPS,idle air control, map sensor, every sensor you can think of, EGR valve, all the vac hoses, even fuel pump , fuel filter, still nothing. So now I believe I got to the pin point of the problem which ima try to fix tomorrow, just want to have some 2nd opinion on this before. I believe my problem is after engine gets warm , the Engine Control Module is getting hot and not doing its thing it needs to do and cuts off the car, then when cools off it'll start back. Its $186 and I just want to make sure this would be a for sure thing and a good chance of taking. I got to fix this car I done spent over $1,000's on trying to fix the problem. Please anyone can help me it would really help!
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Nov 12, 2011, 06:59 AM
    Check for codes--this should help you narrow down the problem and not waste money.

Likely solutions:

. Replace the coil--it may be breaking down under load (heat).

. Replace the Ignition Control Module (ICM)--it may be breaking down under load.

These solutions will likely solve the problem. The Engine Control Module (ECM) is likely fine. Disconnect the negative. Battery cable, prior to working on the ignition system.
    kitch428 Posts: 1,440, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Nov 12, 2011, 08:13 AM
    I know you said you've replaced every sensor, but I have to ask, did you have the coolant temp sensor replaced?
    Reason I ask is because you say when warmed up. They like to intermittently go "open" and think the engine is cold causing fuel trim to go full rich on a warm engine.
    Which means stall.
    Yours is pre OBD-II compliant meaning you'll have to short the DLC to retreave codes.
    This you should do and get back to us.
    Seems like you've had a "parts replacer" party on this vehicle. So before you go throwing more parts at it, let's see the code and we'll take it from there.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Nov 12, 2011, 08:39 AM
    Kitch is absolutely right, if you have not replaced the Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) Sensor. The ECT Sensor affects fuel injector pulse width. It is a temperature dependent resistor (thermistor), whose resistance decreases as the engine coolant temperature increases. It provides a richer mixture when cold, leaner mixture when hot. They become corroded, due to not changing the coolant frequently enough, flood the engine, and waste a tremendous amount of fuel.
    Wally85 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 20, 2012, 08:54 PM
    Hi guys, came across this post trying to search for the problem with my Camry! Seems to be doing the same thing as twistedlife described... Just wondering whether you found the problem was the ECT sensor or something else? I've had mine at several mechanics and can't find the problem, and do not want to spend money on the car when it's only worth a 1000bucks anyway... Help would be greatly appreciated,
    Cheers

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1993 toyota camry won't start [ 9 Answers ]

Just bought the car,and was told the fuel pump was out. Put a new one on, but there's no power getting to it(tested with elec.tester) it also has no spark. It's a 4cyl. Le. And we have bought a repair manual for it, I just thought maybe someone on here might have some insight into similar problems...

1993 toyota camry won"t start [ 10 Answers ]

My 1993 toyota camry was running great and all of a sudden it just quit running. My preliminary test indicates that it is not getting spark to the plugs. How do I test the distributor, ignition coil, igniter, cap & rotor, etc. It is a 4 cylinder engine

1993 toyota camry won't start [ 6 Answers ]

I just bought a 1993 camry le 4 cyc- I degreased the engine cause it was dirty and ever since then it won't start. I know the spark plugs had gotten wet , so I took a compresser blew all of them out then removed all the plugs and let it all dry out for two days even blew it out before I replaced...

My 1993 toyota camry won't start? [ 3 Answers ]

My camry will not engage the starter? I coulnt find a starter relay, or maybe I just don't know what relay controls it. The car will start if I turn the key on an touch the small lead on the starter with a 12+ jumper. The battery cranks the car over just fine which makes me think it's a relay, but...

1993 V6 Toyota Camry won't start [ 1 Answers ]

I just bought this car not running. It turns over fine, has fuel pressure if I jump B and FP at the diagnostic plug, has spark, has correct timing of cams and distributor, has voltage to the injectors, but I think it isn't getting the signal (pulsed ground) from the computer to tell the injectors...

View more questions Search