Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cibrown33 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 11, 2011, 03:08 PM
    Buzzing noise coming from circuit breaker when treadmill is running.
    I live in a home that was built in 1968 that has a basement that was finished, I believe when the house was built. We had to have an electrician install GFCI receptacles in the bathrooms and kitchens right after buying the house to bring it up to code. While my husband was using the treadmill in the basement, I was upstairs and heard a buzzing noise coming from the circuit breaker. We narrowed the problem down to the treadmill. I'm afraid for us to use the treadmill again until we have a licensed electrician come out and see what sort of fix may be needed for this issue. Should the breaker have been tripped in this case? There is one breaker box for the entire house including the basement. We could move the treadmill to a different location in the house and see if the same issue occurs, but I wanted to see what electricians here may suggest. Thanks!
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Nov 11, 2011, 03:29 PM
    Don't know the breaker size but buzzing usually indicates a substantial load is being applied. Not enough to trip the breaker but close. Running a motor on a circuit requires you to reduce the breaker capacity. Depending on the motor size, you may need to upgrade the wiring or install a dedicated line. If it is a 15 AMP breaker, DO NOT put a 20 in.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Nov 11, 2011, 05:44 PM
    Look for and read the label on the treadmill motor, how many amps does it draw?
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Nov 12, 2011, 05:12 AM
    Have the electrician replace the breaker with a new one of the proper size and rating to match the wire size.

The buzzing indicates the breaker is worn and will fail soon.

Breakers and circuits for motors are increased in size by 25% of the motors running current, not reduced. Have your electrician measure the amp draw of the treadmill, he will advise if the circuit can handle the motor.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Nov 12, 2011, 03:07 PM
    Yea, I agree, just parsed it wrong.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My forced air heater makes buzzing noise when not running [ 2 Answers ]

I have an american standard forced air heater and a/c ---the forced air heater is in a closet in the hall and recently when we run it( heat or a/c it buzzes when it shuts down, the only way to stop it is to unplug it. It seems to be coming from the electronic box in the front of unit---thank you RD

Buzzing circuit breaker fuse [ 1 Answers ]

The fuse blew and won't turn on. It makes a static buzzing sound with an unfamiliar smell. Is it safe to be in the house?

Circuit Breaker Making Noise When Compressor Is Running [ 2 Answers ]

I have a ~15 year old, 5 ton Carrier A/C unit. Recently the circuit breaker tripped when I tried to turn on the A/C. After that there was no power to the unit even after I reset the breaker. A technician checked it out and said that the circuit breaker was bad and it needed to be replaced before...

Buzzing noise coming from my Harbor Breeze Triton Celing Fan? [ 5 Answers ]

I recently installed a 52 inch Harbor Breeze Triton Ceiling Fan with light and remote control in my son's bedroom. When I flip the light switch on his wall to turn on power to the fan I can hear this light buzzing noise coming from the fan. Is this normal? A friend told me it was the remote...

Buzzing noise in ac/heat unit when running [ 1 Answers ]

When I turned my central heat/ac unit to heat this year, it started making a buzzing noise. If you turn the air off, then back on to heat-sometimes it will stop. Other times, it'll take 2-3 times to make it stop. What could be the problem? It doesn't do it all the time, and it only does it with the...

View more questions Search