Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RTV123 Posts: 4, Reputation: 2

Feb 8, 2007, 12:50 AM
    Shoplifting 6 years ago and it's still nagging me!
    Hey! I was caught shoplifting when I was 16 years old, and now I am 21 and will be graduating from college next year. When I was caught I had a $25 item. I was never arrested, but the security people made me sign something confessing to the crime. I ended up paying around $250 to department store when the papers were mailed to me. I was so embarrassed, I never wanted to think about it again. This is the only time I have been in trouble (besides a speeding ticket a couple months ago.) I never went to court or anything for the shoplifting. Just paid the fine.

Now, I am so scared to even apply for a job, because I am afraid it's on my record even though it happened so long time ago. I had a good job, but that's because I knew the owners, but other than that I am afraid of the question : "have you been convicted for a crime/misdemeanor?" I don't even know how to answer it, because I don't know if it's on my record. I heard that misdemeanors are erased off your record after a period.

My questions are: What is the likelihood that it's on my record, or how can I find out? Am I doomed to find a job? -- I am graduating with a court reporting degree, and I hope it doesn't ruin my career. I live in NY by the way, and plan on moving to NC after college.

Please Help!

-Rita:)
    Lord_Darkclaw Posts: 295, Reputation: 38

Feb 8, 2007, 04:23 AM
    Don't worry about it! You were only 16, and half the people who will be interviewing you will have done the same thing when they were kids.

By the way.. have you ever seen the "anti polygraph" website? Just in case!
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Feb 8, 2007, 04:24 AM
    You said you were never arrested? Did you get your finger prints taken, or did you have to appear in court?

If no to these questions, then I doubt that you have a criminal record and I do not think that you have anything to worry about. Especially if you were not arrested, you did not appear in court, you did not have your finger prints taken.

Hope this helps. So in this case, you would answer NO. This is a long time ago. It does not count.

Joe

Feb 8, 2007, 04:34 AM
    I'm curious.. is it legal in the US to make a 16 year old sign something?
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

Feb 8, 2007, 06:03 AM
    NO! It is not, that is under the age of consent, so must likely it is only at he store in their records, no police report no record. NO due process was afforded to him.

Feb 8, 2007, 04:07 PM
    Wow.. RTV, I think the store robbed you of $250! :p

Feb 8, 2007, 04:57 PM
    Yes, I think they did rob me haha. But I would rather pay the fine then deal with court and it being on my record.

So to make sure, when I apply for a job, I can answer "no" to the question, Have you ever been convicted of a crime? And it won't show up in my background check?

I wish I found this site 5 years ago... I wouldn't be stressing so much.
    Thanks everyone!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 8, 2007, 06:01 PM
    Ok, no it is not on any background check,

The police background check only shows convictions from court, the public will not even see an arrest if there is no conviction.

And since you were a minor, it would be illegal for the store to give out personal info on you.

So breathe and calm down and don't show it on your applications, they ask if you were ever arrested or if you were ever convicted, they don't ask you if you ever broke the law.
    Salim1010 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 9, 2007, 01:03 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    Ok, no it is not on any background check,

The police background check only shows convictions from court, the public will not even see an arrest if there is no conviction.

And since you were a minor, it would be illegal for the store to give out personal info on you.

So breathe and calm down and don't show it on your applications, they ask if you were ever arrested or if you were ever convicted, they don't ask you if you ever broke the law.

This man is correct. Even if you have had your fingerprints taken, or had to make appearances in court to deal with your issue, your good as long as you were not convicted (found guilty) . :) and considering the fact that you were 16, there is no chance you have a criminal record.

Feb 9, 2007, 09:35 AM
    Thanks so much! So much weight is lifted off my shoulders. This site is awesome, keep up the good work haha
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 9, 2007, 09:53 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by RTV123
    So to make sure, when I apply for a job, I can answer "no" to the question, Have you ever been convicted of a crime? And it won't show up in my background check?
    To be convicted of a crime you have to go before a judge. You either have to plead guilty or be found guilt after a trial by a judge or jury.

Since neither of those things happened, your record is clear.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I am 24/m can't get over Ex Girlfriend (of 4 years) just broke up 3-4 weeks ago [ 11 Answers ]

Well this is how it all started. I went to a bar with my friends and she was at the bar I was at. She was talking to one of her x flings and I got all pissed off. So I walked up to her and I was like what the hell are u doing. She was like nothing don't worry about me. Then throguh out the whole...

Theft under $5000 from 5 years ago [ 8 Answers ]

On one particular day in February 2002, I had went to Zellers and stupidly attempted to steal a cheap $20 camera. I subsequently got caught by security, the police was called and I was issued a bunch of papers. Note: I was only a kid then, and the Young Offenders Act was still in place. I...

Locating record of house sale from 20 years ago [ 3 Answers ]

I sold a house more than 20 years ago, and since then have lost the papers from the house sale in a family tragedy. I have need to recover these house sale papers to prove I was previously a home owner. From which office could I recover these papers proving that I sold the house? The real estate...

Song I heard years ago [ 5 Answers ]

I remember watching this pop/rock/punkish song on much (canadian mtv) when I was 4-ish. It went something like this: "..and i don't know how far you go...blahblahblahblah blah-blahblah american psycho.." at that moment the video featured a spiky bleached blonde haired guy singing/screaming...

Name of a movie I saw years ago... [ 1 Answers ]

I saw this movie years ago. It was about a girl and she was having a dream but she didn't realize until the end when she woke up. I only remember little sections of the movie so be patient with me. She worked at a chicken place and one of the good guys was taking the chicken with this claw on a...

View more questions Search