Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Masood_Ahmad Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 11, 2011, 11:28 AM
    Working in a US NGO in Afghanistan is Haram or halal
    Hello Doctor,

I have been working for a Non US Governmental NGO, that implements development projects in Afghanistan. I was told by one of my friends, that working in such companies is Haram in Islam.

Would you please reply me with the best answer? I support my whole family with my salary that I get from that Non US NGO.

Thank You
    shaheema Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 15, 2011, 04:49 AM
    In hold of non_muslim,their US NGO,IT IS HARM for a muslim work wdh them,
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Nov 15, 2011, 09:25 AM
    Hello Shaheema,

Please explain why it is Haram, Thanks.

John
    Imran501 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 6, 2012, 08:06 AM
    Assalam Alaikum

I work for a UK based NGO in Bangladesh. My project involves structural and non-structural work to manage the risks of natural disasters. As a muslim I know dealing in interest is haram so I opted for this project because this does not have any credit programme like most of the NGOs in Bangladesh who have a Micro-credit wing. So far I have been happy with my work but recently I am getting different thoughts.

I sometimes wonder whether the project is making any change in target community or it is just a superficial way to continue employment of so called disaster management experts who may have very good rapport with donors. To be specific, it's the accountability I am concerned about. I am bringing money for the poor but how much of that is actually reaching them. Because of this I feel my work could possibly be haram.

If you're being accountable and not dealing with interest, I do not see this is haram, whether it be for a US or a non US based NGO.

I hope people with more knowledge of Islam will contribute to this forum and help us

Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 6, 2012, 08:44 AM
    It is not interest being charged, it is business, there is nothing wrong with a business making a profit, and some business groups are more efficient than others. Also at times because of the Government structure, and even the religious ones, payments to those leaders are often done as part of standard business practice to help make business runs better.

It is most likely the fact it is a business operated by people outside your own nation that many people object to.

It would appear those who object are trying to use a religious belief to control political beliefs.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tell me that prize bonds are Halal or Haram? [ 3 Answers ]

Assalam-o-Alaikum My question is about Prize bonds, are prize bonds Halal or Haram? And if somebody win a prize on these bond numbers then that money will be Halal or Haram for that person? Thanks

Insurance Halal or Haram [ 2 Answers ]

Insurance in islam halal or haram

Speakasia is halal or haram [ 0 Answers ]

Doing work with speakasia is halal or haram. It is a survey company.

Do the chocalates have Halal and Haram? [ 1 Answers ]

Iam Ismath fathima.Im from Sri lanka.Mostly I search the Halal and Haram from ood which are made by chicken and meat only.Do I have to search them from the all meals?I mean all kind of chocalates ,drink items etc.it is not possible me to find from the all kind of meals.if I follow this halal and...

View more questions Search