Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    crazyz711 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 11, 2011, 09:00 AM
    Planning to get married soon and obtained a marriage license.
    I have been with a fellow for 3 years and have beautiful rings and now a marriage license as of 2 weeks ago. Again he starts fights and says he will not come by me again but still calls every day. Where do I stand in this relationship. NUTS NUTS!

{threads merged}
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Nov 11, 2011, 09:03 AM
    And you are still planning on marrying him? Have you made plans for the divorce yet, because that would be coming sometime after the marriage.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 11, 2011, 11:47 AM
    Why are you wasting your time with rings, and marriage license till the fighting has stopped and you have a year plus of a good relationship. So he comes around, does that mean you have to open the door.
    crazyz711 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 18, 2011, 11:26 AM
    Dry Drunks
    I have a fiancée that I suspect is a dry drunk, I mean no liquor. I swear he is a mental abuser and keeps punishing everything I do including yelling and accusing and never will discuss any logical thing with me but keeps calling and staying away from me but checking everywhere I go. As of now he is mad about a situation that can be turned around but will not discuss and keeps punishing from afar. Very mentally taxing since for years he was decent to me but extra jealous and controlling. What do you think is the best way to handle this emotional beatings from him?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Nov 18, 2011, 11:39 AM
    What do you mean by drunk without liquor? Is he "simply" controlling?

Why do you stay with him? How long has he been this way?

Here's the other half of the story - https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/emotio...ks-613204.html.

Note I got an "unhelpful" for asking what a dry drunk is. Perhaps it was easier to check "unhelpful" than give the explanation.

- sometimes I have to wonder!

And just noticed the other half of the story - https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/marria...ml#post2951083
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 18, 2011, 12:43 PM
    First sorry but dry drunk is a silly term, never heard of it before. You mean he is controlling or some other abuse.
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

Nov 18, 2011, 12:54 PM
    I agree with Fr. Chuck that the term "dry drunk" is silly - it's pejorative even for someone who is an alcoholic, so I'd suggest you ditch it from your vocabulary.

But your fiancé sounds abusive, so the way to handle it is terminate the engagement, break up with him and move on. Abusive people tend to become more so, not less so, after marriage, and continues to get worse often as a marriage progresses.

You used to have a bad boyfriend, who became your bad fiancé - don't escalate your problem by making him a bad husband, and ultimately bad ex-husband. Just cut to the chase - end the relationship, do some counseling to find out why you permitted yourself to be with such a person (and what red flags you might have forgiven,ignored or excused away that you shouldn't have). Then go find someone who is positive and builds you up in your life instead of treating you terribly.

Good luck to you.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Nov 18, 2011, 01:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    Here's the other half of the story - https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/emotio...ks-613204.html.

Note I got an "unhelpful" for asking what a dry drunk is.
    Well its people in situations like this that still get married anyway with the false belief they can "make" someone else change to suit them. It's no wonder the divorce rate is what it is.

If it everythings not right... nobody should be even planning a wedding much less going through with it. Its hard enough even when it is.
    DrBill100 Posts: 3,241, Reputation: 502
    Ultra Member

Nov 18, 2011, 02:39 PM
    Dry drunk (sometimes referred to as a syndrome) is a widely used descriptive in the alcoholism treatment/recovery field and particularly in AA circles. Do you associate the described behaviors with past drinking problem. Is he a recovering alcoholic?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 18, 2011, 02:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by DrBill100 View Post
    Dry drunk (sometimes referred to as a syndrome) is a widely used descriptive in the alcoholism treatment/recovery field and particularly in AA circles.
    I'm glad you posted that. I have two friends who are recovering alcoholics (AA) who have used that term to describe certain people we know.
    Jake2008 Posts: 6,721, Reputation: 3460
    Emotional Health Expert

Nov 18, 2011, 07:12 PM
    A 'dry drunk' is an alcoholic, who has done nothing but stop the physical aspect of drinking.

Being dry, is not the same as learning to change one's life, to a healthy, sober one.

Counselling is a good way to address the triggers, situations, and habitual behaviours that led to drinking in the first place.

Think of it as learning how to walk again, without a crutch.

Can the two different questions be combined?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I am planning to import rugs and sell in UK. Do I need license to start [ 1 Answers ]

The person I am dealing with in Far east has asked me for my business license number to make invoice. I have checked with business link here and the only thing I need is to register as self employed. Is that sufficient. Please help.

Marriage planning creating stress on girl. [ 8 Answers ]

Hi. Please do not merge threads. Stating this because what i am about to describe and ask about sounds to be a general thing amongst women and i need advise on this topic alone. Hope you understand. That being said here is the situation. The situation of having very little time left for...

We were planning on marriage, then he broke it off [ 6 Answers ]

We've been together for almost a year. So he took me around the country to meet his family, and extended family, they were all super nice and they all loved me as well, so that made me happy. And then another weekend we went to Texas for one of his friend's weddings and I met all of his high school...

If married in different county than what is on marriage license [ 10 Answers ]

Is that an automatic divorce or annulment?

Still married and planning a wedding [ 3 Answers ]

What is the best way to get divorced fast? I live in California and I would like to remarry soon but I am not yet divorced. If I apply for a marriage license will my current marriage be listed? How about in Nevada? Can we just perform a ceremony now without a license and perform a civil ceremony...

View more questions Search