Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sindhukv Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 7, 2007, 09:30 PM
    Tax refund and Treaty benefit
    I am Indian research scholar on J1. I came to US in Aug 2005 and will be returning back to India in April 2007. I have been paying tax ever since I came here and my wife has been working since Jan 2006. She has also been paying her taxes. Does the tax treaty with India allow us to claim a full refund of the taxes we paid since we are leaving before the completion of 2 years in the US? And if so how are we supposed to claim for the refunds?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 8, 2007, 12:39 AM
    If you meet all the criteria, you should NOT have been paying ANY taxes.

Your wife working may have negated that, however.

TaxSearcher, can you lend a hand?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Should I benefit from Tax treaty between US and China? [ 16 Answers ]

Dear Help Desk: I am a postdoc in life sciences. I came here from China in 1999 as a F1 student and now hold H1B visa. Our payroll still files W9 form for me which claims the tax-treaty Article 20(c) - $5000 is tax-free. I am just wondering whether this is correct. Thank you very much.

Income tax benefit clarification for Housing loan [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I am Vineet Chattree, working with a TATA group. I purchased a flat in Chembur in December 2005. At that time builder declared 80% completion from Bank. However, I decided to start with EMI in place of pre-EMI based on 80% slab. Builder promised to give accommodation by June 2006, but...

F1 to h1, and tax treaty [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I am a full time F-1 student in Mar '01 to Jul '06, and from Aug '06 I am under OPT working in an US company. 1) Do I need to file the 1040 or 1040NR for 2006? 2) there is $5000 tax treaty between US and China, so I am wondering, if this tax treaty for all kind of incomes, or just...

Tax Benefit Question - Should I Buy or Continue to Rent? [ 11 Answers ]

Hello everyone. I'm new here and hope to get some replies. I hope this is the right place to post my tax benefit question. I'm thinking of buying my first home; the property is in the Northern Virginia suburbs of Washington, DC and priced at $375,000. My total household income is about $8520 a...

F1OPT -> H1, tax form and tax treaty [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I was on F1 from 1998 to 2004, F1 OPT from July 2004 - July 2005, and H1 since July 2005. I'm working at the same job since my F1 OPT (so I have one W-2 form). In 2005, I was in the US with H1-B for less than 183 days, but I have been hear long enough with F1 visa, so I don't know if 1. I...

View more questions Search