Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pugasaurus Posts: 65, Reputation: -4

Nov 9, 2011, 05:25 PM
    There is a saying about George Washington's three perils about facing America?
    I read somewhere once that George Washington having 3 different dreams or visions. Each on I think if I'm correct was a female voice saying "Look and learn son of republican". Each time she said that there was a vision a 3 wars happening on US soil. Knowing that George Washington being our first president and having this happen is unusual. What are your thoughts? The story is pretty interesting and he said the third vision of a great war was the worst of the three. Was the Civil war one of them? Have the next two happened yet? Also what are your thought about this historical story?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Nov 10, 2011, 08:43 AM
    The story of the three visions was allegedly first told by an anonymous "old soldier" in 1859. Do the math - that's 80 years AFTER the Revolutionarty War, which is allegedly when these visions appeared to GW. So at the time of the visons the guy would have been a teenager. And he waited 80 years to tell the story, with such detail of exactly how the conversation took place? Given that the name of the "old soldier" is never mentioned, and given the timing of this during the political fights between slave and non-slave states, I think it was probably concocted to support a political view about the possibility of conflict. It would be like today someone invoking JFK to make a political point. Suppose a CNN political commentator claimed that an "old soldier" had told him that in 1945 when JFK was commanding a PT Boat in WW2 that JFK had a vision warning the US to stay out of Iraq - would you believe him?

It's pretty clearly a myth that people like to read things into.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

George B. Luttrell ll [ 1 Answers ]

I was wanting to find out what the value of a Painting by George B. Luttrell ll dated 1968 would be worth? He was a New Orleans artist between 1936-2000... he passed on 10 years ago I would post a picture but not sure how?.

DE George [ 2 Answers ]

Is De george a mental illness and or a disease. Just learned of this recently. What exactly is De george?

Out of Afghanistan - George Will [ 52 Answers ]

Hello: Leading conservative writer George Will said we should get OUT of Afghanistan and focus on the border with Pakistan with our unmanned but heavily ARMED drones... I agree. We ain't going to win in Afghanistan. excon

George Bush [ 52 Answers ]

I hate politics! But recently there has been such a flood of it coming through On TV, radio, and the internet that I can't escape from hearing things - all of which I do not like or condone. Can someone please tell me anything good that president Bush has done for His country. I'm struggling to...

The perils of oily skin! [ 8 Answers ]

Ok, so, I wake up in the morning to find my face very oilly, mainly round my nose. I presume this means I have oilly skin? I ask because Ive had so much medication because I used to be quite worried about my acne, and I've heard that medication can make dry skin actially act oilly, as it over...

View more questions Search