Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    raindog_mx Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 7, 2007, 06:48 PM
    I'm underqualified
    This was going to be in the Tech career category but I realize it belongs here.

I might be offered a job with a salary of four times my income, and eight times if you take in account that business has not be going well lately. The person who might be offering me the job is one of my partners in the business and he's somewhat directly responsible for our current situation. He's in politics and he'll be getting a job in a government office. He wants me to come with him.

This is a big time job, dealing with many people. Obviously someone has to be fired for me to take his job -he might truly deserve it but that is not in question right now-, the fact is I know the job requirements and I know I'm very unqualified for it, it would be a huge challenge and maybe a defeat. I absolutely need work and money right now and it seems like an option and also, in other more optimistic light, an opportunity to learn, improve and do good.

I'm very unsure about it.

Thank you very much for your help.
    nikki0322 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 9, 2007, 06:06 AM
    Have you discussed your concerens with your partner? Be up front. If he/she stills feels you are qualifed for this position I say go for it! Who knows you very well could learn and grow.

Good Luck!
    raindog_mx Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 9, 2007, 07:18 AM
    Hello nikki0322,

Yes. I did talk to him about it already, a couple of months ago when the probability first came into discussion. The business wasn't going that bad then and I stated clearly that I don't think I'm experienced nor qualified enough for the position and that I wouldn't accept it. But things have changed now.

However, I'll follow your kind suggestion and do it once more.

Thank you so much.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 9, 2007, 07:28 AM
    Its hard to advise without knowing the full details. But there are some points I can make, qualifications and ability are two different things. On the basis of political experience I'm not qualified to be President of the US. But I believe I have the ability to do the job (at least better than the incumbent ;) ).

So the question you need to ask yourself is whether you think you can do the job, not whether you are qualified to do it. Your partner seems to think you do have the ability if he offered it to you.

As far as displacing someone who may be more qualified, I wouldn't worry about that.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search