Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nathansmom Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

Nov 8, 2011, 06:30 PM
    Need help in looking for high school diploma during the night in Chicago IL
    Hi I don't know if anybody can help me but I was wondering if anybody knows any high school credit diplomas programs in Chicago IL I tried calling some schools they told me they don't do that. I called the board of education they couldn't help me. They told me to go during the day but the thing is I have a son can anybody help me please and thank you!
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 8, 2011, 06:34 PM
    I'm in the Chicago suburbs and am a retired librarian, so I think I can help you. Please bear with me while I ask a few questions.

You want to earn your GED?

You are in the City of Chicago?

You want online courses? Or can you go to a site in the evenings?

Nov 10, 2011, 06:44 PM
    Hi I would like to get my high school diploma not the GED. Yes I do live in Chicago. I don't really want to do it online. I called a lot of schools and they said I would need 24 credits to graduate but I was hoping to find a school that needs a little less credits to graduate..
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 10, 2011, 06:54 PM
    What about a community college? Did you call one, and maybe you could bridge to a certificate of some sort.

Did you call high schools?

What neighborhood are you in? Bucktown? Lakeside? Austin?

Nov 10, 2011, 08:24 PM
    What's a community college? I want to go to a school that I can walk the stage. Yes I did I called many schools in many areas. Mango
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 10, 2011, 08:31 PM
    I will be somewhat blunt, no it is not about walking the stage or a cap and gown. It is about the diploma from a school.
    If that be GED or diploma.

Next normally the number of credits will be set by the school board ( or perhaps the state for state schools)
    You may look or talk to some of the private schools,
    But honest many of the large public schools has some online courses available for various reasons.

Also if within ages, you just go back to regular school.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 10, 2011, 08:31 PM
    I've lived in the Chicago area since 1963 and have never heard of Mango. Is that a street?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 10, 2011, 08:39 PM
    Are you near Harlem Avenue or Irving Park?

Nov 10, 2011, 09:48 PM
    Sorry mango is a street

Nov 10, 2011, 09:51 PM
    To FR Chuck I can't go to regular school because I won't have no one to watch my son during the day. My husband work's and I can only go during the night.

Nov 10, 2011, 09:56 PM
    To FR CHUCK Another thing it is also about walking the stage and getting my diploma for a teen mother. Everyone telling me I can't when I know I can. If u just knew what I went through oh its all about the cap and gown walking the stage and getting the diploma!!
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 11, 2011, 12:10 AM
    Here's what you can do. You are maybe in the Belmont Central neighborhood?

Anyway, there should be a Chicago Public Library branch somewhere near you. Call the reference desk and ask them your question about how to get your h.s. diploma by going to school at night.

Let us know what the answer is. If this doesn't work, tell me here and I will try something else to help you.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Nov 11, 2011, 09:52 AM
    Mango is in the Belmont Central area.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 11, 2011, 10:13 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1 View Post
    Mango is in the Belmont Central area.
    Yup. I looked at the neighborhoods map and decided that's where Mango is -- and there is a CPL there too, thus my suggestion the OP call the local library's reference desk.

I just called that library. Wright College is where she needs to take these evening classes.

Wright College
    4300 North Narragansett
    Chicago, Illinois 60634
    (773) 777-7900

The librarian also told me that there is a very nifty database called "Learning Express Library" that is a self-guided way to pick up high school classwork through her home computer. The OP needs to go to her library, get or update her library card, and ask about this database.

Nov 11, 2011, 01:00 PM
    I called they do and they transferred me to another person and he didn't pick up so I'm going to call back pretty soon. I would let you know the information thanks...
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 11, 2011, 01:06 PM
    Since it's Veterans Day, the offices might be partly or mostly empty today. From what the librarian told me, it should be easy to get into evening classes that can also bridge the gap to a certificate or associate's degree (even bypassing a high school diploma, but earning a higher degree).

Yes, please let me know what you find out. It's a local call for me, so I'll be glad to do more if you need anything else.

Nov 11, 2011, 01:43 PM
    Thank you so very much

Nov 15, 2011, 09:26 AM
    Hi wonder girl Wright college don't do high school diploma they only do ged classes during the evenings and I'm not looking for that. If you can find another school please I'm searching around and they don't do high school diploma during the night. Please help me if you can thanks.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 15, 2011, 10:07 AM
    The problem may be how old you are. Please tell me your age.

I called Wright College and asked about their program. The GED is comparable to a h.s. diploma. It takes maybe 15 weeks or longer (depending on how hard a student works at it) to earn the diploma. Registration will be on Dec. 2nd and you must bring ID. Call that number I gave you to get more information about registration.

What questions or concerns do you still have?

Nov 15, 2011, 02:13 PM
    I'm 18 I just rather do the night school for my high school diploma I don't want to get my ged. I work my butt off in my other school during the night for I can graduate. There's no schools that you don't know of that does high school diplomas during the night??

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

High school diploma [ 12 Answers ]

:( Hello I am 40 years old and now need my high school diploma for a job that I applied to. Someone please help, I don't know what to do. I had a stroke last March and I am scared to death to leave my home. I applied for a job to do at home it is for the IRS... Can I get my diploma online at home?...

High school diploma [ 1 Answers ]

Is there a free high school diploma online that you can take and they send you your diploma?

High school diploma [ 3 Answers ]

Hello my name is Marco Arcila I live in Tampa Florida I didn't finish my high school I only need 2 credits more so I could get my 24 credits compreted that I need Im trying to look so any one can help me with this how I can't finish my high school diproma at home ?

High school diploma [ 5 Answers ]

I want to get my high school diploma on line, but can't afford it is there any way of getting help with the cost?

Do I need a high school diploma to... [ 1 Answers ]

I didn't know, witch thread to put this under but do I need a high school diploma to go to a trade school or college class. And how much would it cost to get my diploma online?

View more questions Search