Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Morganite Posts: 863, Reputation: 86

Feb 27, 2007, 10:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hamworld05
    I have one more question( I hope) Why does it depend solely on the area of the brain that was affected?
    The symptoms of brain damage reflect the area of damage because various functions are controlled by different areas of the cerebral cortex. Thus, damage to the occiptal cortex that controls vision could result in damaged or total loss of vision or visula disturbances depending on the exact locus and extent of the damage.

Prefrontal lobe damage is likely to affect emotional stability or mood, because that is the area of the brain that apparently controls mood.

The most common cause of brain damage, however, is not anoxia or hypoxia, but physical trauma, a blow to the head, and brain heamorrhages - strokes - where blood escapes from one of the vessels that serve the cerebrum and invade surrounding tissues, the damage resulting from pressure on the brain itself from escaping blood, because the brain is encased in a bony box and there is no escape for the extravasated blood.

Again, the degree of damage depebnds on the severity of the bleed or the physical trauma to the brain. Shaken babies suiffer brain damage because the brain sloshes about during violent shaking causing damage as it does so. Put an egg in a box and shake it violently, and what happens to the egg happens to the brain inside the skull during physical trauma.

M:)
    Morganite Posts: 863, Reputation: 86

Feb 27, 2007, 10:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9
    No worthbeads, this is a youngster who has been asking many inquisitive questions lately. So, I don't think that is the case.
    Is there such a thing as a non-inquisitive question? I encourage youngsters to ask questions. How will they get to know anything otherwise? An unquenchable spirit of inquiry is often evidence of latent genius.

M:)
    hamworld05 Posts: 370, Reputation: 12

Mar 4, 2007, 02:24 PM
    Can being unable to breath for 5 minutes cause cerebral hypoxia? Maybe I'm not being specific. There are plenty of ways that can cause you to be unable to breath for 5 minutes...
    pyramidhead Posts: n/a, Reputation:

Apr 6, 2008, 07:22 PM
    What would be the easiest way to give yourself amnesia? Maybe if you had severe depression, you could get amnesia and then forget all the memories.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Apr 7, 2008, 05:28 PM
    Depression is not going to give you amnesia.
    Like the others said you are more likely to risk brain damage than get amnesia if you try for amnesia.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

View more questions Search