Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Feb 19, 2007, 08:14 PM
    No, it is not the same thing. You have NO oxygen or little oxygen. It is like having little to eat or nothing to eat.
    hamworld05 Posts: 370, Reputation: 12

Feb 19, 2007, 08:17 PM
    But how little is little? I mean, I thought you could eat little food and still survive. You might feel horrible, sick, and all terrible things that can happen because of hunger? Doesn't that also apply to breathing? I might have misunderstood your question.
    Expert

Feb 19, 2007, 08:21 PM
    Well, people with COPD live with little oxygen, you give them too much and they die, people with Asthma survive with little oxygen when they have an asthma attack, you give them more oxygen and they live, people with pneumonia have little oxygen.

Look, you are comparing apples with oranges here. You can live with little oxygen like you can live with little food. You die with no food, you die with no oxygen.

Feb 20, 2007, 06:42 PM
    OK. You said that very, very traumatic experiences can cause amnesia. Why can't holding your breath for 5 minutes or having a reduced oxygen supply for 5 minutes be a very, very traumatic experience?
    isabelle Posts: 309, Reputation: 31

Feb 22, 2007, 04:07 PM
    I think you are confused about amnesia and brain dead. With amnesia... you forget things. With brain death... you are gone, dead, you know nothing.
    I think there have been excellent explanations to your question.
    Morganite Posts: 863, Reputation: 86

Feb 22, 2007, 06:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hamworld05
    OK. You said that very, very traumatic experiences can cause amnesia. Why can't holding your breath for 5 minutes or having a reduced oxygen supply for 5 minutes be a very, very traumatic experience?
    It is impossible to hold your breath for 5 minutes. Most people struggle to hold it for one minute, then are forced to breathe again. It will depend on the degree of oxygen deprivation whether amnesia will follow, but as already shown in early answers amnesia can result from severe cases of hypoxia.

Amnesis associated with hypoxia and amnesis caused by a life event such as the loss of a loved one or the fear of something distasteful occurring are of different orders. The former have organic causes, and the latter are psychologicaly invoked.

The most common type of amnesia from unpleasant expericences or other fears is the fugue state, in which a person wanders and does not remember their former life. It has been described as a flight from unpleasant reality.

Organic amnesia attracts a guarded prognosis. Fugue is almost always reversible, especially after the 'danger' has passed.

M:)RGANITE

Feb 23, 2007, 01:52 PM
    OK. I meant what if you can't breath for 5 minutes? Morganite, you're saying that being unable to breath for 5 minutes can't be a traumatic experience because only life events like losing your grandmother can only be traumatic experiences?
    Expert

Feb 23, 2007, 01:57 PM
    Hamworld, if you are unable to breathe for 5 minutes, yes it is a traumatic experience, so traumatic in fact that you will DIE. You CANNOT and WILL NOT live if you don't breathe for 5 minutes.

Feb 23, 2007, 06:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hamworld05
    OK. I meant what if you can't breathe for 5 minutes?

Morganite, you're saying that being unable to breath for 5 minutes can't be a traumatic experience because only life events like losing your grandmother can only be traumatic experiences?

That is not what I said. I differentiated between organic (physical) trauma and mental (psychological) trauma. Eachtype can cause amnesia.

I also said that no one can hold their breath for five minutes. You can try this and if you get past one minute (unless you are a pearl diver) you are doing very well. Time yourself and sit still, and let me know how long you can hold it before being forced by your vegetative (autonomic) nervous system to breathe again. This comes about by the intervention of the CO2 senser in the brain that detects the rising level of CO2 in the body and begins breathing for you (dramatically and against your will!) so that you do not expire.

A brain derived of oxygen for five minutes will very probably die and the body will follow.

Whether the loss of your grandmother is traumatic (harmful) to you depends on your relationship with her, and the changes her passing will bring about in your life. That and also your emotional and mental stability.

If you will revisit my answer below, you will be able to see that I said:

Amnesia associated with hypoxia and amnesis caused by a life event such as the loss of a loved one or the fear of something distasteful occurring are of different orders. The former have organic causes, and the latter are psychologicaly invoked.

If it is still unclear, let me know and I will gladly go into a little more detail for you.

M:)RGANITE

Expert

Feb 23, 2007, 06:14 PM
    All of these are great examples you have been given hamworld.

I understand you are young. If you don't understand what we have written, just say so and we will clarify it for you. Some of the language can be confusing for someone so young or if you are not familiar with it.
    worthbeads Posts: 538, Reputation: 45

Feb 23, 2007, 06:18 PM
    You aren't going to try to get or give amnesia, are you?
    Expert

Feb 23, 2007, 06:19 PM
    No worthbeads, this is a youngster who has been asking many inquisitive questions lately. So, I don't think that is the case.
    worthbeads Posts: 538, Reputation: 45

Feb 23, 2007, 06:22 PM
    Okay, because the asker seemed to be very interested if you could could your breathe and get amnesia. Besides, it probably wouldn't work anyway. You would just pass out and start breathing again. Anyway, I was just asking to help overall well-being.
    Expert

Feb 23, 2007, 06:23 PM
    Good call, but this youngin has been pretty inquisitive about many things lately. But again, good call.

Feb 23, 2007, 06:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by worthbeads
    You aren't going to try to get or give amnesia, are you?

I don't have amnesia, but I'm a carrier!

M:)
    Expert

Feb 23, 2007, 06:30 PM
    Okay, I'll remove that last post of mine and we will see.
    Expert

Feb 23, 2007, 06:38 PM
    Okay, so I will remove these so as not to inhibit our youngsters inquisitiveness.

Feb 23, 2007, 07:14 PM
    Could you live with permanent damage to your brain? You can get permanent damage to your brain from being unable to breath for 5 minutes, right?

Feb 24, 2007, 08:08 AM
    Hey! I'm totally offended by that remark! I am not playing jokes and gee, thanks for unnecessarily clarifying the point! I suggest you play some chess. You obviously have no patience.

Feb 24, 2007, 08:13 AM
    OK. I get it. Still, that was harsh!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

View more questions Search