Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    patriciac23 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 7, 2011, 06:03 PM
    Single mother trying to get full custody of my child. Father is absent.
    I am a single mother currently receiving public assistance. The father of my child is not listed on the birth certificate. Made it very cear to methat he had interest to be a part of the baby since learned of the pregnancy. Can I try to gain full custody of my child? Or is this a problem since I apply for public assistance because of being unemployeed in the state of California? Please advice
    jenniepepsi Posts: 4,042, Reputation: 533
    Ultra Member

Nov 7, 2011, 06:12 PM
    You already have full custody of your child
    kcomissiong Posts: 1,166, Reputation: 276
    Ultra Member

Nov 8, 2011, 10:15 AM
    If you are applying for public assistance, you will be required to name the father or possible fathers so that the state may attempt to recoup their costs through the collection of child support. If you are currently unemployed and need state benefits, you should certainly be filing for child support as well.

As Jennie mentioned you already have full custody. Your child only has one legal parent right now. If he should decide that he wants to have visitation in the future, not being on the birth certificate will not stop him,he simply has to go through the extra step establishing his paternity through the courts. A court will make a decision at that point.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I'm a single mother need to file for full custody [ 12 Answers ]

Im a single mothe with 1 baby who is currently 1 yr and 7 months in california san diego , i currently receive child support started this month and the father of the child is currently in louisiana and want to have my daughter for a month i don't mind him wanting to spend time with her but...

Can the mother get full custody after giving up full custody to the father? [ 1 Answers ]

My wife had recently got a divorce from her husband on grounds that she was unhappily married to him, and she had given full custody to the father because she did not have a way to support the kids. She did not want to give full custody to the father but had no choice at the time. The kids love...

Single mother filing for full custody [ 3 Answers ]

Hi My name is Jen, My daughter was born may2nd and her father signed paternity papers so that she would have his last name. Stupid of me I know. I want to file for full custody but I'm not sure exactly how it works. Once he is served court papers I'm afraid he will try and take her. What do I do?

Single Mother,Father signed birth certificate,hasn't seen his son,want full custody [ 8 Answers ]

When I gave birth to my son I was 17 and the father was 18 we were young and I was still in high school. The father basically is a low-life never graduated does drugs no job been to jail before and has 2 other kids. Im currently in college broke and my parents are helping me out till I get placed...

Can father agree to surrender full custody rights to the mother of child? [ 4 Answers ]

My question is Can my daughters father consent full custody to me with out going to court? My daughter is going to be 2yrs of age, I am the sole caretaker of her. I have provided everything to my daughter with out the need of her father. We were never married and she does not have his last...

View more questions Search