Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gtyer Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 7, 2011, 03:28 PM
    Do banks buy homes?
    Some friends of mine supposedly sold their home. The story sounds very strange. It was listed as an open house for one day. No one came to view it, but the realtor said they received emails from a bank offering to buy the house sight unseen. The offer was very close to the asking price. They are now waiting for the escrow check to arrive. It is coming from the bank. They do not know the buyer's name. What does this mean? Will a bank hide the name of a buyer? Will a bank buy a house? Is this a scam.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Nov 7, 2011, 05:49 PM
    Sounds like a scam. Banks are trying to SELL their homes. What some scammers do is to tell you to pay the commission up front rather than a deduct and then guess what? No check and you are out $$$$
    gtyer Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 8, 2011, 04:13 AM
    The commnission goes to the realtor and they are not asking for it so I don't understand your answer.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 8, 2011, 04:33 AM
    Did the realtor show your friend the e-mails? This does sound fishy, but it could be legit. Your friend just needs to tread carefully. Make sure he sees the e-mails. Make sure he sees the check.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 8, 2011, 06:54 AM
    I would not sign any paperwork, or cash any checks, till full disclosure happens. The selling agent works for them and they may want to discuss this with the actual broker also.

But no banks do not buy property, unless you may be on one where they want to bull doze it for a shopping center or investment property.
    lucy00 Posts: 5, Reputation: 3

Dec 1, 2011, 12:27 PM
    Banks only sale houses, either foreclosed or short sale. I didn't probably get your question but they mostly give mortgage to buy a home.
    * link edited out

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to buy abandoned homes [ 12 Answers ]

I know there is a way to buy abandoned homes without negotiating with the owner. As you can imagine, some refrain from sharing their secrets. Anyone have any clues?

Do Banks Buy Houses Back [ 6 Answers ]

We are not in danger of foreclosure, but getting married and need a bigger house. Have current house on the market for one year. Will banks buy back houses in a situation like this?

View more questions Search