Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Bopper72 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 7, 2011, 12:28 AM
    My landlord has two rental units on the same heat bill and electric bill.
    Is it legal for him to charge utilities on an estimated percentage of use? This is in Pennsylvania.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 7, 2011, 04:26 AM
    This would depend more on local housing codes. Such codes may require separate meters, especially for electric. But heating is generally done for the building. So its not uncommon for a bill to be prorated based on square footage and occupancy.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 7, 2011, 06:49 AM
    One of the commercial rentals I am using now, does the same thing. It is fairly common esp in rooming houses or houses that have been divided into two or three units.

Normally this is explained either verbally when you rent or in writing as to what share of the bills you pay.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

If I put an electric fireplace will it make my electric bill go up really high? [ 5 Answers ]

So I want to go and buy an electric fireplace for my house but I don't want my electric bill to sky rocket, I mean I would expect it to go up a little, so does anyone know?

Accounting journal entry received utility bill, the bill was not paid? [ 1 Answers ]

November 30: Received the utility bill for November, $350. The bill was not paid

Filed bankruptcy in 2005,bill included but was garnished in 2009 pd bill in full [ 5 Answers ]

I had a vehicle that was repossed in 2004-2005. The vehicle was sold in their auction, leaving a balance(amount unknown). I received a letter in 2005 stating I owe $4999 plus 25% per annum. My employer received a wage levy for this same bill stating I owe $9366.00. My wages were garnished and...

Rental sec and bill lost! [ 5 Answers ]

Was living with a girl and she moved out before the lease was up and I could not afford to keep the rental I put up the security and lost it the every thing was in my name and her name was on the lease can I take her to court for half of the bills and sec from her being that I lost it

View more questions Search