Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    michaelf10011 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 6, 2011, 01:52 PM
    Hot water drips from kitchen faucet even if hot water supply valve turned off
    Have 2 handle kitchen faucet, cartridge stems. Hot water dripping from faucet even if hot water supply turned off. Volume of water dripping increasing over time. Changed o-ring, didn't help. Not sure if I need new hot water cartridge stem or hot water supply valve, or both.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Nov 6, 2011, 01:58 PM
    Hi Michael

It sounds like you need both a new hot water washer/cartridge and a new shutoff.

Here, if the shutoff had worked the drip would have stopped so the shutoff also needs to be replaced.

Good luck!

Mark

Nov 6, 2011, 02:00 PM
    Thanks very much for your answer, and for getting back to me so quickly. Much appreciated.
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Nov 6, 2011, 02:01 PM
    Glad to help! Hopefully, it is an easy fix after this!

Nov 6, 2011, 02:12 PM
    Mark, one more question. The supply valve were soldered on and I don't have a soldering torch. I'd replace it with a valve with compression fitting, but how can I get the old valve off. Not much room or pipe length to cut it off. Do I need a torch to remove it? Thanks!
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Nov 6, 2011, 03:43 PM
    Yes, if you need the length, you will need to remove the old fitting with a Propane or MAPP torch. If you have the length, cut the pipe with a pipe cutter or hacksaw and use a sharkbite or compression fitting. Use a ball valve, they are much better shutting off the flow.
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Nov 6, 2011, 05:31 PM
    Yeah, agee with Ma0641 (Brian)... shut off the water supply, drain the water pipes and then use some sandpaper to clean the solder joint real well... apply flux to the solder joint and then heat the fitting with a torch until the solder melts and pull off the old shutoff off. Apply more flux and then wipe the pipe clean of most of the solder. When the pipe cools, use some sandcloth and clean the pipe up real good and apply the new compression or sharkbite type of fitting. Turn the water on to test your work and hopefully you are all set!

One other option would be to shut the water down and then simply swap out the washer from a new shutoff to the old shutoff... but only if it is a brasscraft for a brasscraft type of deal, OK? That make sense?

Back to you...

Mark

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cold water coming out of hot water tap in bathroom but Really hot water in kitchen [ 7 Answers ]

Can anyone give me a reason as to why nearly completely cold water is coming out of my hot water tap in my bathroom but when I run the hot water tap in the kitchen the water is nearly boiling. The hot water and cold water taps are separate in the bathroom, where the kitchen has a handle which...

Hot water coming from cold side tap even though hot water supply shut off [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I been having problem for past year now hot water comes from the cold side tap, I only have 1 tap that shares water hot and cold the other 2 I have are 2 separate hot cold and 2 are just cold taps now I have even shut the cold water supply to the hot water tank off, but yet when I run the...

Symmons shower faucet drips hot water [ 1 Answers ]

How can this be fixed?

Removing faucet angle supply compression valve, hot water question [ 4 Answers ]

Hey, so I need to replace some crappy supply stop valves as a consequence of trying to replace a bathroom faucet. I'd like to only inconvenience myself as little as possible at the moment, so I'd like to just do the "hot" side first. Another problem here is that I don't know where the house's...

Leaking Hot Water Supply Valve [ 10 Answers ]

The silver knob where you can turn off the hot water supply to the bathroomsink is leaking. I have inspected and the brass fitting that supplies the flexible line to the faucet is not leaking. The stream is where it looks like the phillips head screw attaches the silver on/off knob. How do I repair...

View more questions Search