Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    w381 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 7, 2007, 02:32 PM
    Honda Accord 1999 - MAIN Electrical supply missing (intermitent)
    No MAIN electricity in the car. Only BRAKE light on the instrument panel is lit and maybe KEY light. I don't think they are significant, because Headlights, Emergency 4-blinkers, Inside light (on the roof), even radio don't get electricity.

I tried it 10 times today. Occasionally MAIN elecrtrical supply is present which I know for Inside Light and radio etc are OK but as soon as I put key to crank the engine, MAIN electricity goes off. I did nt turn key to 2nd position. Only brake light on the instrument panel stays, and blinks. It blinks even when I take key out.

If any one has wiring diagram will help me. Maybe just wiring for Head ligths and/or Inside light would be helpful.

Don, toronto
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Feb 7, 2007, 04:20 PM
    1. Check all under-hood and under-dash fuses with a test light or multimeter.
    2. Check ignition switch and harness.

Feb 7, 2007, 04:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by txgreasemonkey
    1. Check all under-hood and under-dash fuses with a test light or multimeter.
    2. Check ignition switch and harness.
    -Thanks a lot for answer and I just want to conribute generally to this valuable communication by this coment:

1- under-dash fuses I will check after your advice (-hood I did)

2- ignition switch has nothing to do with Head lights and inside light. As I described, I don't get these lights too.

3- Is there any possibility that car-computer somehow shuts off the head lights ?
    I think that this should never be the case, so it's probably not possible, but...

Feb 25, 2007, 08:12 AM
    All cars - incl this Honda - when all or most electricity missing - it's ground!

First I replaced starter motor the battery and finally an old mechanic resolved it.

Most cars have two points where ground (battery negative) is attached to car body.

If you loose all electricity - try to pull strongly for negative cable, it may move a bit
    Connection plate and remove a bit of corrosion (the main cause of truble).

There are usually two ground poings, one usually bellow the dar and another as in HONDAs
    Can be up and you can clean this one easily. It will restore some electriciyt, but not necessarily starter motor one. For this one is usually under the car at gearbox.

Don, toronto
    NB: Seems to be common problem with cars in countries where a lof of salt is used on the roads. And seems that most mechanic know it well. My bad luck was I went to yong new established shop and they didn't know it so replaced my starter motor and battery

Dealers definitely know it! But they insisted they must test the car with their computer first.
    Stupid! Computer can't find this fault. Namely they first have to clean those corroded contact points to be able to connect to car computer. But once they clean corroded points, the problem is completely resolved. So stay away from dealers in such situations. And let car industry to resolve this ethical problem.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1999 honda accord won't start [ 9 Answers ]

Hello, My accord won't start when I crank it up. I took it to the dealer and they said it was the ignition coil, but when I replaced it, I still have the same problem

1999 Honda accord electrical shuts off when driving [ 42 Answers ]

I have a 1999 Honda Accord that occasionately shuts off while driving down road. First thought it just ran out of gas but running out of gas would not shut all electrical systems down. Anyone have any ideas?

1999 Honda Accord - Fuses [ 4 Answers ]

I have a 1999 Honda accord, need to find the fuse box for my stereo and power outlet . I have located a fusebox near the drivers seat and one under the hood on the passenger side. Neither have a stereo fuse labeled. Is their another box on the car somewhere or am I missing something?

1999 Honda Accord [ 2 Answers ]

When my car gets a little hot the engine stops running. It will start right back up though. It will do it in park or drive does not matter. Anyone have any ideas.

1999 Honda Accord EX Won't Start [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, Here's the story. My 1999 Honda Accord has 143,000km's on it and a few months ago it began having trouble starting. I would turn the key and it would struggle for a second and then stop turning over, or just make a ping noise and not turn over at all. After 4 or 5 tries it would usually get...

View more questions Search