Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    guscusi Posts: 65, Reputation: 1

Nov 6, 2011, 08:47 AM
    I would like to know what is a Guarantor Joinder rental agreement?
    I would like to know what is a Guarantor Joinder rental agreement? My daughter intends to rent a unit with 4 friends in a college apartment complex, off-campus, and the contract is named "Guarantor Joinder (Florida)". The first sentence reads: "Each Guarantor, jointly & severally with all other guarantors, guarantees the observance and performance of all agreements and obligations... " . I am attaching the contract for your review. I want to be responsible ONLY for our portion of the rental. They charge $600 per person, so I should be able to sign some binding document on MY portion alone. Any help is greatly appreciated.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 6, 2011, 08:52 AM
    Sounds like you along with other guarantors are agreeing to cover the rental payments. I would suspect this is pretty standard for off campus college rentals.

And the clause you cited is also a standard for rentals. It means what you think it means. That any one guarantor can be held responsible for the TOTAL rental.

If you want to only be responsible for your daughter's share then you should not sign that agreement. You can try negotiating a separate deal with the landlord, but don't be surprised if he refuses to do so. Your daughter may need to find other accommodations.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Nov 6, 2011, 01:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by guscusi View Post
    ... what is a Guarantor Joinder rental agreement? ...
    It's a phrase someone made up, apparently with the intent that it describe the document of which it is the title.

A rental agreement is, simply, a lease.

"Joinder" means the act of joining in. So, in this sense, it would appear to mean agreeing to be included and bound by the terms of the original rental agreement.

A "guarantor" is someone who guarantees that moneys due under a contract will be paid. It is a co-signer, in other words.

So a "guarantor joinder rental agreement" would, I guess, be an addendum to a lease by which someone agrees to co-sign a lease.
    guscusi Posts: 65, Reputation: 1

Nov 10, 2011, 12:04 PM
    Scott,

Thank you very much for your reply. I also feel that it is risky and that the landlord's goal is to have several guarantors, in which case I will not take the risk. Thanks again!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Vacate for Joinder or Joinder Dismissal [ 1 Answers ]

My husband and his previous wife got a divorce in 1994 in the state of California. In the paperwork, it was determined that his wife was to receive part of his pension when he retired. After the judgement was final, she told him personally that she didn't want his pension and she would contact...

Getting out of a rental agreement [ 1 Answers ]

Shouldn't all involved parties sign a rental agreement together? Me and my husband moved out of our rental house when we bought a new house. The landlord found a new set of tenents and the wife signed the contract. Well, the husband wouldn't sign it and the deal fell through. Are we still...

Rental Agreement [ 1 Answers ]

My name is Vicky and I like in Rockford,IL. My husband and I rented an apartment in October of 2006 and signed a one year lease agreement. When we moved in there was a dead bird in the living room window (w/the window broken)and infested w/maggetts. The shower leaked,bathroom sink stayed...

Rental Agreement [ 2 Answers ]

My daughter was anxious to relocate & she gave a deposit & rent for a place that she had not seen the inside of. After being given the keys, she went to the duplex & discovered it was MUCH smaller then expected. She was not able to contact the manager the remainder of the weekend so on the 3rd...

View more questions Search