Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chris1202 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Nov 5, 2011, 01:48 AM
    Changing my son's last name to mine.
    My fiancé had two children by another guy when I met her. She ended up getting pregnant with me. While she was pregnant, she went back to him. So he and she decided it would easier for the kids if they all had the same last name, and so gave my child HIS last name.

Now he didn't sign the birth certificate, so my question is this: What would be the easiest and cheapest way to change my son's last name to mine? And since he has the other guy's last name, will I need to get a paternity test done?
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Nov 5, 2011, 04:06 AM
    Is she still with the other guy? If so, she won't be willing to consent to the change, will she? It's not going to be easy or cheap to change the child's name under those circumstances.

If he didn't "sign" the BC, his consent won't be necessary.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 5, 2011, 05:40 AM
    Her and you can agree to change the name, and then put in for a name change.

Nov 5, 2011, 08:01 AM
    No she's back with me so should be easy then.. Thanks for the answers
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 5, 2011, 09:15 AM
    Are you on the birth certificate? If not, then you NEED to file for joint custody. Until you do, you have no rights to your child.

Nov 6, 2011, 07:11 AM
    I know I have no rights at all. I mean I did get a paternity test but it wasn't the legal kind so it won't help me out in anyway legally. Can't even take him to the Dr. Really..

Nov 6, 2011, 07:26 AM
    I know there is a form to sign to consent as the baby's father didn't know if that would also change his because too or if they are two separate things entirely. He does live with me is why I didn't know if I should file for joint custody I'm just trying to make this the easiest simplest and cheapest way possible to have rights and put me on the because in that blank father spot :-)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How can I change my son's last name to mine? [ 1 Answers ]

How can I change my son's last name to mine, I'm the father, I pay child support and I spend time with my kids

How do I change my son's last name to mine [ 1 Answers ]

How do I change my son's last name to mine

Changing my son's last name to mine - the Bio father [ 4 Answers ]

When my son was born the mother and I were not together. She gave my son her boyfriends last name. They are no longer together and I finally have him back in my life. Since he is my biological son what steps do I need to take to get his name changed to mine?

My son's last name. Mine or Father's? [ 15 Answers ]

Well I am in a tough situation. I am currently 7 months pregnant. I am not together with the baby's father. I live with my parents, and he hasn't provided anything what so ever for me this whole time that I have been pregnant. He verbally abuses me, he's threatened my life and has put his hands on...

View more questions Search