Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ipbrjt3 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 4, 2011, 07:00 PM
    Do I connect old, unmarked thermostat wires to new thermostat?
    Hi folks, I have an old mercury Honeywell thermostat with two unmarked wires sticking out of the wall. They almost look like thin audio cables, with one lighter than the other. I was planning on replacing it with a new Thermostat for the forced hot air gas furnace (which is probably about 10-20 years old now). Would it damage either unit if I connect the wrong wires (i.e. switched) to the W and RH connectors on the new thermostat? Sorry if this sounds stupid. I'm obviously a noob.
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Nov 4, 2011, 07:45 PM
    With your setup, just hook one wire to r and one to w and you will be fine. Doesn't matter which goes where. Hook er up, and you will be in heat. Take care, and please let us know how things work out.
    ipbrjt3 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 4, 2011, 09:50 PM
    Things worked beautifully! I also did some further research and read that this configuration is just an "interruption" in one line- so it doesn't really matter which is RH and W. Thanks for confirming it for me!
    :-)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to connect red and white wires to a thermostat with G, why, W, RH and RC wires? [ 0 Answers ]

I'm trying to change a Honeywell RTH 6400, to a LUX TX 500

How to connect Programmable Thermostat without colored wires? [ 0 Answers ]

The Honeywell I am attempting to install only has 2 Black wires. My old one has 5 wires, two that connect at the top, two that connect at the bottom and a copper one that connects lower at the bottom. I'm not sure where the black wires on the new thermostat needs to be connect, or what I should do...

Unmarked Thermostat Wires [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Weil Mclane Steam Boiler and Radiator System. I am replacing an OLD Honeywell "Electric Clock Thermostat". After removing the innards - I found the old unit was wired to 4 unmarked, uncoded wires. It appears that the two wires on one side of the unit served to run AC power from a...

How do I connect wires from Janitrol to the Honeywell Thermostat [ 1 Answers ]

How do I connect the wires from a Janitrol to the Honeywell RTH7500 Thermostat. I have the following wires: R Red Y Yellow G Green O Orange W2 White E Beige/Pink C Blue Black wire not connected

How to connect wires to a RTH6300B honeywell thermostat [ 2 Answers ]

I only have 2 wires to connect I removed the old wires from the W and R connection And put them on the new one but nothing happens. Any help would be appreciated

View more questions Search