Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Redladyanna Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Nov 3, 2011, 07:36 PM
    What can my ex-employer say about me to potential employers?
    I worked for a major corporation and quit without notice after 5 years. I would like to know what an employer can say, and is there any way to check this out.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 3, 2011, 07:41 PM
    They may say any and everything about your work, attendance record, work record, the fact you left without notice. Normally the only question they really ask is "Would you rehire" since if they would not rehire, it is not a good reference

Nov 3, 2011, 07:44 PM
    If a former employer will state they would not rehire,how do I explain quitting a job because my new supervisor hated me.I need advise to put correct answer on application for a new job
    CliffARobinson Posts: 1,416, Reputation: 101
    Ultra Member

Nov 3, 2011, 07:46 PM
    They are only allowed to state truthful facts about your work. Nothing personal in nature, and, most importantly, they must do the same thing for all references. In other words, they can't say "no comment" on 99 references as part of policy, but answer your reference questions in the negative.

Most companies, especially the large ones, are very risk averse and have strict policies preventing their management from giving references, they force job references to be handled uniformly by HR, and they only give dates of hire and titles held.

Information regarding salary can be released with a signed release form from you, if the company choses to do so. The only way to check what is being said about you is to ask the prospective employer, or ask HR for a reference for your work.
    Ultra Member

Nov 3, 2011, 07:48 PM
    Without naming names or naming the corporation, why DID you leave without notice?

Nov 3, 2011, 07:51 PM
    I quit my job because my new supervisor and the coworkers he hired wanted me gone.I started by enjoying the company I worked for to hating it.I tried to complain but it was my word against theirs.I have worked for 35 years and have never quit a job in 30 years until now.
    Ultra Member

Nov 3, 2011, 07:55 PM
    That is a tough one. This falls under the category of "getting along with others" and "managing conflicts". Are you in management?

Nov 3, 2011, 08:05 PM
    I am not in management. I am worried about what to put on an application or what to state during an interview.If the company put not to rehire,how do I justify myself to a new employer?
    Ultra Member

Nov 3, 2011, 09:37 PM
    My first thought would be not to delve into the messiness of the circumstance, but you have to explain gaps in employment. Is your career in something that you can do on the side as a consultant as well?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 3, 2011, 10:04 PM
    Was this company an "at will" employer? i.e. any hiring is presumed to be "at will"; that is, the employer is free to discharge individuals "for good cause, or bad cause, or no cause at all," and the employee is equally free to quit, strike, or otherwise cease work. (Wikipedia)
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 3, 2011, 10:20 PM
    Technically, the interviewer cannot call that company if you don't give it to him as a reference. You can use former coworkers as references, if you know they will speak well of you.

You might even "get away with" not naming the company, but giving it a generic name, such as "mid-sized telecommunication company, Chicago, Illinois." Of course, you'd have to clue in your references about this.

At the interview, if asked why you left your previous employer, you could say something like, "I discovered that I needed more challenges. I am an excellent employee and I didn't want my unhappiness to have any impact on the job I was doing for my employer."
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 4, 2011, 03:35 AM
    First, there are no laws specifically addressing what a former employer can say in an employment check. They are required to only state factual information. If there is a company policy on what information to give out, then that policy has to be adhered to uniformly. If you worked for a major corporation it is likely they have such a policy. If still you have some friends there, you might see if you can get a hold of the policy. The larger the firm the less likely they are to give information. Larger firms will generally only verify that you were employed and what time frame.

At some point you will have to identify the name of the company. During the interview process, you can state that you left because you felt there was no room for you to advance.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 4, 2011, 05:03 AM
    Also remember that places that you are currently or the last place is often shown up on a credit report, so if you don't list them, and they show up on the credit report.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Potential employer checked my references, now what? [ 4 Answers ]

I had a job interview about two weeks ago. At the time, I was told that they wanted someone to start right away. My job interview went Great and they actually started checking my references the next day! Well, I didn't know it at the time, but they were unable to immediately reach one of my...

Do I tell potential employers that I am already employed? [ 6 Answers ]

I am in need of picking up more hours and considering a second job. I am worried that if I apply for a position that is for nights and weekends - even though I have no scheduling conflicts - that I won't be considered because they will see me treating the second job as a lower priority. ...

What information do potential employers legally have a right to know? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I can't seem to find an answer to this question on the web. My husband works in a high frequency trading firm, and is currently in the process of interviewing with another trading firm. The high frequency trading industry is a very secretive and competitive industry, with companies always...

Can potential employer find out about past job and disability? [ 1 Answers ]

I worked for a company from 9/07-11/07 then went on disability. I am still employed there, however, do not plan on going back due to my disability (since 12/07)and since have moved away. I am still disabled, but need to find another job ASAP as my disability ran out. My question is: I want...

Can potential employer find out about disability and current/past job? [ 1 Answers ]

I worked for a company from 9/07-12/07 then went on disability. I am still employed there, however, do not plan on going back due to my disability and since have moved away. I am still disabled, but need to find another job ASAP as my disability ran out. My question is: I want to apply for a...

View more questions Search