Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    starsbooty Posts: 119, Reputation: 7

Feb 7, 2007, 09:18 AM
    Chlamydia from hot tub?
    Hi,

My boyfriend 's friends girlfriend told me she has an std and she hasn't had sexual contact with any but her boyfriend, and he says he has not cheated, so I was wondering if it was possible for someone to get an std if they had no sexual contact with any one other then their partner? Mainly chlamydia? She said you have to have person to person contact but is it possible you can get it from a hotel bathtub, or sitting on someone's toilet, anything like that? I don't believe he is not cheating, but she is blind. So...
    Thanks
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Feb 7, 2007, 09:25 AM
    STD's are called that because they are SEXUALLY transmitted diseases. Chlamydia is spread only through sexual contact. I have never heard of anyone getting it from any of the sources you describe. Maybe someone else will see this post and let us both know if I am wrong.

It is possible that he did not cheat on her. Was he sexually active before he met her? He may have contracted it then and did not realize it. It is considered a "silent" STD, meaning that a lot of people infected do not show any symptoms and therefore, do not realize they have it.
    Ultra Member

Feb 7, 2007, 09:28 AM
    I did not see shygrney's posting before I posted mine. I know that hot tubs can give us yeast infections and other infections because it is a gold mine for bacteria when not cleaned properly. Shygrney, are you sure about this? Because if you are, then that is a new one on me and I will never, ever, enter another hot tub!
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Feb 7, 2007, 09:37 AM
    There was a post about this similar situation and there are two different answers expressed on it:

Dear Abby on uExpress

Then there is this from the "Handbook of Ocular Disease management":

PATHOPHYSIOLOGY
    Chlamydia trachomatis is an intracellular parasite that contains its own DNA and RNA. The sub-group A causes chlamydial infections, the serotypes A, B, Ba and C cause trachoma, and serotypes D through K produce adult inclusion conjunctivitis. The mode of ocular transmission may be hand contact from a site of genital infection to the eye, laboratory accidents, a mother infecting the newborn, shared cosmetics and occasionally an improperly chlorinated hot tub.

So take your pick. To be sure, I would not share a hot tub with someone I did not know, e.g. a hot tub on a cruise ship.

Tell your friend it is best to forgive what may or may not have happened and have a happy life.
    Uber Member

Feb 7, 2007, 09:44 AM
    Ever heard of "hot tub lung"?

eMedicine - Extrinsic Allergic Alveolitis : Article by Ali Nawaz Khan, MBBS, FRCP, FRCR

Scroll to the bottom of the page.
    Ultra Member

Feb 7, 2007, 09:44 AM
    AAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. Even if I know someone well, even if it was my best friend, there is NO WAY, I will ever get into a hot tub for the rest of my life!! AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
    Uber Member

Feb 7, 2007, 09:58 AM
    ONe of my neighbors works at a hotel that has a hot tub and the water gets changed about once every two-three weeks. Last time we went there swimming, the hot tub had a huge ring of oil around the top of the tub. The management just keeps dumping in more chlorine. Ghastly! I am glad not all are like that and I can imagine the majority are safe. While I trust the CDC information, I would err on the side of caution just to be sure.
    starsbooty Posts: 119, Reputation: 7

Feb 7, 2007, 10:26 AM
    Thanks everyone, and I will let her know, and hot tubs are gross, so are places that have spa chair for pedicures, some lady sued because she broke out in a horrible rash and got a fungus from them not cleaning the spa
    utahvertigo Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 30, 2007, 08:39 PM
    My husband and I had sex in a jetted hotel tub, I got some std related thing from that tube. We are both very committed and have never had sex with any other person but each other our whole life. So now I am trying to conceive, with the first two kids it took only one try, so far its been three months, I have however been on the IUD, so I wonder if this is the problem. I don't know what the infection was that I got from the tub but the dr thought it was chlamida, I need to call them back and ask what the heck it was. So I will NEVER take another bath, and I think because I had sex in the tub it was easier for stuff to get inside, sorry sounds so personal, but for your info, take a bottle of bleach and bleach the jets out if I were you.:eek:
    tubaloo Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 15, 2012, 10:35 PM
    Straight dope: Chlamydia infects people through unprotected sexual contact. Any other type of transmission is either incredibly rare, an urban legend, or a lie. What do we know of that is not rare, you ask?. people having sex with multiple partners and transmitting STDs. Sometimes the most simple explanation is the correct one. Always use condoms to prevent STDs, and if possible, a back-up contraceptive method to prevent pregnancy. If you are really in love, you will want you and your partner(s) to be safe and healthy. Be smart AND sexy.
    CravenMorhead Posts: 4,532, Reputation: 1065
    Adult Sexuality Expert

Nov 16, 2012, 08:35 AM
    This thread is over five years old. That was back when Bush was president and we were still in a booming economy. The person has moved on and will never see what you've posted. Please refrain from commenting on threads that more than a month or two old.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

No Hot Water to shower head, but Hot water to the Tub? [ 2 Answers ]

My husband and I just purchased a new house. We have found that the shower pressure in the bathroom is wonderful however once you have set the right temp from the tub spout and switch over to the shower no hot water makes it to the shower head. We can only turn off the cold water completely in...

Hot tub g.f.I [ 1 Answers ]

I recently hooked up a hot tub that required a 240v with no neutral. (50A) I took a two pole 60 from the main service and ran 6/3 teck cable to a 2cct outdoor enclosure outside to within 5' of the tub. Into the enclosure I hooked up the red to the main the black to the other main and the blue to...

Hot tub 240 [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 240 hot tub but no 110 close. I was thinking about running a line to the hot tub controls and use 1 leg of 240 circuit to make a 110 outlet. Bad idea?

Chlamydia [ 2 Answers ]

Hello. I have posted on here before regarding that my now ex partner had been receiving masturbation from prostitutes. My last pap smear two months ago showed that I have the hpv virus. I got my other tests back today and I also have chlamydia, for which my doctor has given me antibiotics. My ex...

Hurt confusion chlamydia [ 2 Answers ]

Ok, I meet this guy david everything is going great. On the 7th date we sleep together and then three days later I had my annual(pap smear). I had my pap smear on the Wednesday. Then on the Friday the Clinic called me in the evening. Ive never been called before. I was scared but I did could not...

View more questions Search