Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    denman Posts: 48, Reputation: 2

Nov 2, 2011, 05:49 PM
    Car stops running with half tank gas
    My partner has a 02 Allero, don't know engine size, but when he gets to about a half a tank of gas, the car quits running. As long as he keeps tank full it's fine, but it's a pain having to gas up so often. Any ideas as to what would cause this? Thanks in advance for any help in this matter.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Nov 2, 2011, 05:55 PM
    I have never worked on an Allero but it sounds like the intake tube in the tank has come loose and is no longer drawing from the bottom of the tank. Not a fun job to check, less fun to fix.
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Nov 3, 2011, 09:21 AM
    Did this condition just start up suddenly?
    Any recent repairs of any sort?
    Does the check engine light work normally?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Nov 3, 2011, 10:02 AM
    Had another thought, when you get near a half tank and it starts to die try removing the gas cap and tell us if it makes a difference.
    denman Posts: 48, Reputation: 2

Nov 15, 2011, 07:05 PM
    Thanks for the responses. Been out of town, so just got your ideas. Will let him know, getiin tired of having to pull off job to pick him up!
    chaosmaster1 Posts: 294, Reputation: 12

Nov 16, 2011, 06:48 PM
    It could be the fuel float sticking and causing the problem or the gas gauge may be faulty

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1991 honda civic dies with half tank of gas [ 4 Answers ]

This issue is getting to me. At roughly 1/2 tank of fuel the car dies. Starts back up and does it again. Gets worse and worse the more you drive it. Then put gas in it and its runs like its brand new! I have replaced the fuel filter, fuel pump with pickup sock, (no help)! The tank looks great...

1991 honda accord stalls out when there is less than one half of a tank of gas. Why? [ 1 Answers ]

1991 honda accord stalls out when there is less than one half of a tank of gas. Why?

Car stops while running [ 4 Answers ]

Hi friends, Please help me to identify the problem with my car (Honda Civic 2006). It stops while running and can be started after sometime. It runs for few kilometers and stops again. The problem is found only in the afternoon/evening when the climate is bit hot. Is it the fuel filter...

Car won't start after running out of gas [ 2 Answers ]

My 99 honda passport's fuel gauge doesn't work but I am assuming I ran out of gas at the bottom of a steep hill. It was running fine until I started up the hill and then it ran out of power. I put 2 gallons of gas in it and it wouldn't start. We added 4 gallons more and it still wouldn't start. ...

View more questions Search