Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Roddilla Posts: 145, Reputation: 3

Nov 2, 2011, 07:05 AM
    KW - ionic constant of water
    When you add an acid to water, pOH changes because you have a lot of H ions which are shifting the equilibrium to the right. So why is is that when you add ethanoic acid for example you produce H and ethanoate and ethanoate may react with water to reform the acid and OH- ions? Wouldn't that change the pH once more?

What I mean is if you for example add 2moles of ethanoic acid and you increase the concentration of H ions to x. So the ethanoate decreases once more that pH because it reacts with water to form some OH- ions?
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Nov 4, 2011, 01:52 AM
    From one point of view, you can say that first, there are x moles of H formed. Then, there will be 0.01x (rough number) moles of H converted back to H2O, then 0.00001x moles of H being formed again, and so on. So eventually, you get a constant amount of H being formed and a constant amount of H becoming H2O, so that overall the amount of H remains constant. This point is, however, a point where there are more H ions than OH ions.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Write the ionic equation for the dissolving of lead chloride in hot water. [ 1 Answers ]

Why do you need hot water to dissolve the lead chloride?

Constant water running [ 3 Answers ]

We are renting an older house. Recently, I started hearing the humming noise in the basement. I noticed there was a small water dripping through a small leak on the water softner... I got the plumber out today and he fixed the corrosion. However I still hear the running when the house water is...

Constant running water noise, old water softener pipes? [ 3 Answers ]

When we bought our house, it came with a decommissioned water softener in the laundry room. The pipes behind it (I'm assuming in and out) were capped off with plastic plugs that toggle back and forth. If you're familiar with Dr. Dolittle, I'd call it a pushmi-pullyu setup. (sorry, I'm an admin, not...

Is the MAXIMUM density of water a constant? [ 4 Answers ]

Please bear with me. I'm sorry if I'm hard to follow. I know that under 1 standard atmosphere of pressure, water has the following properties: Freezing/melting point of 0 Celsius Boiling/condensing point of 100 Celsius Maximum density of 1.0 g/cm^3 achieved at 4 Celsius Here's my question:...

View more questions Search