Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fisk Posts: 147, Reputation: 5

Nov 2, 2011, 02:11 AM
    Getting four wisdom teeth out at once
    My boyfriend is taking his four wisdom teeth out at once and he will be under general anesthesia. He had some problems with his lower wisdom teeth and apparently he has to remove them, but I really don't understand why ne needs to take the other two out as well, since they are not coming out the wrong way and have never created problems.

I've heard about people going through a lot of pain after taking out only two, so I don't understand why his dentist wants to take them all out and I've never heard of anyone else doing this. I've also been reading on it and saw that there can be some serious complications when you take them out.

I just need to be reassured. Any dentists out there? Could the doctor be doing all four just for the money?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Nov 2, 2011, 03:02 AM
    How old is your b/f and where are the wisdom teeth located; at different locations throughout his mouth?
    Tick

Nov 2, 2011, 06:34 AM
    He's 27 and apparently they are located where they should be but they are not coming out and he kept having infections (the lower ones).
    kcomissiong Posts: 1,166, Reputation: 276
    Ultra Member

Nov 2, 2011, 08:52 AM
    It can be damaging to his bite and gums to have upper teeth with no lower teeth for them to "fit" into. (or at least that is the spiel my oral surgeon gave me) However, they can be impacted without having erupted (come through the gums). He should ask his dentist to show his the x-rays, and ask why the other two teeth have to come out. They may be impacted under the gum, or angled in a way that can cause problems in the future. A second opinion never hurts either. But, is he is doing it and going under general anesthesia already, he may as well get it over with (and that will probably be one of the reasons his dentist will give, it's a lot simpler than going under the knife a second time).
    Expert

Nov 2, 2011, 09:47 AM
    Yes, I agree with Kcomissiong in some cases. If they are causing infections, infections can spread under the gumline and damage good teeth (another good reason to have wisdom teeth out). Sometimes though they are growing crooked under the gum line and there coud be a chance that they can push good teeth out of the way causing occlusion problems, or problems with how all teeth match up for chewing.

Yes, always get a second opinion (if you are not too embarrassed to get it done) to make sure the procedure is correct and the cost as well.

Tick
    Expert

Nov 2, 2011, 09:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by kcomissiong View Post
    It can be damaging to his bite and gums to have upper teeth with no lower teeth for them to "fit" into. (or at least that is the spiel my ).
    Well that wouldn't necessarily happen if one could have permanent bridges. Bridge work or a partial plate would fill the bill in a case like this.

Tick

Nov 10, 2011, 12:26 PM
    So, my boyfriend had the operation today and everything went OK apart from the fact that the oral surgeon left part of the root of one of the lower teeth in because apparently it was too close to an important nerve and removing it might have caused problems.

I googled this, and apparently it can happen, but there might be furter problems in the future. Can he do something to avoid this kind of problems? Can there be another attempt to remove this root?
    MetalMouthMedia Posts: 24, Reputation: 2

Nov 10, 2011, 11:29 PM
    I can't speak to the root problem. But I, and all three of my teens, had all four removed at the same time and all was well. The first three days there can be swelling but the ice really helps (my oldest refused to use ice but by a day-and-a-half later went to a rock concert just fine). The pain-killers do help but one of my daughters needed to take an anti-nausea pill with it at the same time; just be aware that can be done - just ask if needed. My four wisdom teeth were growing in sideways; never hurt or got infected, but kept pushing at the roots of the other teeth.
    Expert

Nov 11, 2011, 03:50 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by fisk View Post
    So, my boyfriend had the operation today and everything went ok apart from the fact that the oral surgeon left part of the root of one of the lower teeth in because apparently it was too close to an important nerve and removing it might have caused problems.

I googled this, and apparently it can happen, but there might be furter problems in the future. Can he do something to avoid this kind of problems? Can there be another attempt to remove this root?
    I think in this case you are just going too have to trust the surgeon's judgment, Fisk, either that or go back and start getting answers from the 'horse's mouth' so to speak.

You don't say what the downside would be of leaving the root in, did the surgeon say that anything would occur over time in the way of 'problems'?

Tick

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Why am I having pain in my regular teeth after I got all 4 of my wisdom teeth removed [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I just got my wisdom teeth removed 5 days ago. I wanted to know when I would be able to lay flat in bed? I have been propping up my head with pillows for the past 4 nights and wanted to know when is a good time to start sleeping normally. Also, I am having a lot of pain in my lower left side of...

Wisdom teeth [ 4 Answers ]

What is the usual cost to remove wisdom teeth?

Wisdom Teeth [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I had two wisdom teeth removed top and bottom nearly 3 weeks ago - Lately my mouth has felt abit uncomfortable and when looking in the mirror I noticed that there was something in the area where I had the bottom Wisdom removed, it's a white colour and it feels loose when I swallow. Also...

Wisdom Teeth [ 4 Answers ]

I will soon be getting my wisdom teeth removed and I am assuming that they will put me fully under. I have never experienced this before and with the new movie out (Awake - where the man is mentally awake during his entire surgery and can feel all the pain) I am just a little curious I guess as to...

Wisdom teeth [ 10 Answers ]

All four of my wisdom teeth are coming out together. Uper left one doesn't hurt at all but coming out in a wrong direction, lower left one is perfectly fine so far. The problem is with the right side, there is not enough space for the teeth to come out, uppor or lower part, the pain started couple...

View more questions Search