Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mikeysilverado Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 1, 2011, 06:57 PM
    I have a homework problem involving velocity
    Bill throws a ball upward from the top of an 84 foot building with an initial velocity of 128ft/sec. a. at what time will the ball reach maximum height? b. what is the maximum height? c. how long will it take the ball to hit the ground?
    ArcSine Posts: 969, Reputation: 106

Nov 2, 2011, 10:48 AM
    Somewhere in your text or background material you're given a position function, which gives the position, as a function of time, of an object falling at or near the surface of the earth. This function will include a term which allows for the initial velocity of the object (a linear term), and another for its initial position (a constant).

The first derivative of this position function gives the velocity of the object at any time t. Determine the deriv of the position function (the velocity function), and then determine the time t at which velocity = 0. That'll be the moment it reaches its max height (i.e. the answer to (a)). Plug that time back into your position function to arrive at its max height in feet, and (b) is done.

For (c), the ball hits the ground at the moment t for which its position is -84'.

Give those a whirl and see where you go.

ArcSine Posts: 969, Reputation: 106

Nov 2, 2011, 11:07 AM
    Sorry, clarification needed. If your position formula wants you to consider the ball's initial position (at the top of the bldg) as zero, then the ball strikes the ground at the moment that its position is - (neg) 84.

Equivalently, you could consider the top-of-the-bldg start position as being +84. If so, then you want to use the position equation to determine the time at which its position is zero.

It'll be same time t either way.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Probability problem involving drawing a specific card from a deck [ 4 Answers ]

Hey all.. I've had a good handle on probability for a while, but it's a little rusty due to half a decade of disuse. Help start my gears, if you will. Thanks! ____ The probability of drawing a red card from a deck of normal playing cards is 0.5 A magician draws 12 cards from the deck....

Word problem involving ages [ 1 Answers ]

Edwin is four times as old as Joshua. In 12 years, Joshua's age will be half that of Edwin's. How old are they?

I have a study problem involving research, its variables and other criteria. [ 1 Answers ]

Gerontologists interested in the effects of age on reaction time have two groups of participants take a test in which they must indicate as quickly as possible whether a probe word is a member of a previous set of words. One group of participants is between the ages of 25 and 45, whereas the other...

Problem solving involving linear function [ 1 Answers ]

The cost of food for a school party is partly constant and partly depends on the number of students. For 95 students ,the cost 5,652.50 ,and for 44 students ,it is 3,272.50. Find the cost for 48 students .express the cost of food as a function of the number of students.

View more questions Search