Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    agkthg Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 1, 2011, 05:43 PM
    Should I drop a course? * Warning Long - just saying*
    I want to become a doctor, and I usually achieved fairly good grades in the past but this year I was advised to make some commitments during the summer that would last a bit through school. I knew I shouldn't have made them but I did so anyway - maybe because I actually believed I could for a bit, but the summer ended shortly, and I ended up consuming a large amount of time. For the first two months of school I have received six to three hours of sleep on most days. Sometimes I feel insane. I am barely maintaining a 90 average in one class, the rest of my marks all over the place with the others except math - it is probably in the 70s. I have never fallen so low in my life. My grades had been my pride. But I guess my commitment hadn't the sense to give up on any promises I made. The commitment I made have made time unmanageable and unsustainable, I knew something had to be sacrifice since there wasn't enough time in my life but I was to stubborn to sacrifice anything. Before I knew it, I ended sacrificing my grades.

I have gone through a lot of pain and suffering, but I still want to become a doctor. Now I am faced with a question I never thought I would have to face - Should I drop a course to reduce the damages to my grades? Will it matter that I have a couple of courses with average grades? Is there anything you would do in my place? Any other recommendations that I could consider?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 1, 2011, 05:50 PM
    Why did you not stop your other "things" when school started. It is a matter of rating importance. On your high school transcripts it shows classes dropped. So even that can look bad depends on how far back they look.

For high school, it is not what medical school thinks, it is what colleges on what scholarships you are hoping or praying for.

I am sorry, school starts at a set time, on the last day of school, you knew the first day of school.

You need to stop anything but your study, and bring the grades up, and keep focused on them, not give up if you are having trouble.

Guess what, I have seen straight A students try to kill theirself, when they left high school and went to college, because in college all of a sudden they were B and C students, not A students.

So first understand, that you may not always be the best, but at times you will have to adjust and change.

I would stop things making you lose sleep, and to be honest your parents are doing a poor job, since they should make you have time to sleep

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tub drain need to drop 26", btr to drop at 45 or 90? [ 5 Answers ]

Hello All, I'm installing a shower and have been scratching my head on this for a while. I need to run the drain along the wall above to so I can vent it (for a foot or two), then hang a right and head toward the stack about 5' away. Due to the small crawl space and T on the stack, I need...

To take math or not to take math? Warning:long [ 7 Answers ]

Hey I need some advice. I'm currently a high school junior, and I am HOPELESS at mathematics. I've always managed to scrape by with 65s, and trust me its not lack of effort, I try really hard. All my other grades are over 90s, with the exception of sciences which are in the high 80s. Last year I...

Married almost seven yrs and confused-WARNING:LONG POST! [ 11 Answers ]

First off let me say thank you to anybody that is considering answering this post. Secondly I am not here to get beat up on. The truth sometimes hurts but mean is just mean, please- real answers that can help. I really need it. I know in some ways I should have never remarried him but love =...

Is it going to work? (warning: VERY LONG post) [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, I'm new to this forum. I was just surfing the net to find some advice about relationship issues I have been having and came across this site and seemed like a good place to start and get opinions from people who have been through what I am going through and can share their advice. I am in a...

How to know when to hold them, know when to fold them (or him) warning: long [ 3 Answers ]

My husband is a very kind and generous man and everyone who meets him loves him, including, of course, me. We met while I was in grad school and he was working as a bartender in a local hangout. We were friendly/flirty for almost a year before we started dating and a couple of years later were...

View more questions Search