Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Triangle Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 1, 2011, 03:41 PM
    Mortgage interest and housing allowance for foreign property
    I'm a dual US-Bermuda citizen living in Bermuda with a Chilean wife. Only I work and we recently bought a house in Bermuda. I receive a housing allowance from my employer. Can we deduct both the housing allowance and mortgage interest on the same property, or should we rent a second property to qualify for both?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Nov 2, 2011, 08:19 AM
    You do NOT deduct the housing allowance. You MAY need to add it to your income, or use it to partially offset your mortgage interest deduction, or it may be totally tax-exempt; I cannot comment one way or another without more information. It IS likely that both the housing allowance and up to $91,000 of your Bermuda salary can be excluded using Form 2555 (Foreign Earned Income Exclusion).

You CAN deduct the mortgage interest (and real estate taxes, if such taxes are assessed in Bermuda) on Schedule A as itemized deductions.

If you need professional help filing your return, email me at [email protected].

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Foreign mortgage interest [ 1 Answers ]

I recently purchased a house in Costa Rica. I have an interest only loan for which I would like to claim the interest on my US tax return. I am a US citizen and this is a second home.This is a private loan for which there is a mortgage contract. Will I be able to claim the interest paid? Will I be...

Home mortgage interest deduction for foreign property on US tax return [ 41 Answers ]

Hi, I am on an H1B visa and have been working in the US for 4+ years. I purchased a condo (only property I own) in India 3 yrs ago (2006) and got a mortgage (through a bank in India). I make a monthly mortgage payment out of my salary here (I have no other income) to this bank in India. On...

Deducting mortgage interest on foreign property [ 1 Answers ]

I am a US citizen with full time residence in Singapore (with Permanent Resident Status in Singapore). I have not resided in the US for several years. I have purchased a home in Singapore. Can I deduct mortgage interest from my US taxes? Can I deduct prepaid interest (points) from my taxes?

Foreign rental property and mortgage interest [ 4 Answers ]

I just found out that I should be claiming by rental property in Germany. That means I need to amend the last 4 income tax returns. I am a US citizen and spouse is a Green card holder. Where do I claim the rental income and mortgage interest paid to the foreign bank. TaxCut keeps asking me for...

Property tax and mortgage interest foreign 2nd home [ 2 Answers ]

I am a U.S. citizen considering purchasing recreational property (2nd home) in Canada. May I itemize the property taxes that I pay to Canada as well as any interest paid on the mortgage?

View more questions Search