Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lordwispa Posts: 77, Reputation: 2

Nov 1, 2011, 11:14 AM
    What laptop specifications?
    I need to buy a laptop for uni but I don't know enough on which specifications to search for, can someone help? I want to be able to play games and films, not the super modern 3d games just most as well as uni needs like word etc. What drive speeds, ram and all that doo daa do I need to know about to make an informed decision? Do I need to avoid a brand like Dell?
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Nov 1, 2011, 12:04 PM
    As I said on your other thread it's all a question of best numbers for your budget.
    A modern i processor is a must buy..
    phillysteakandcheese Posts: 973, Reputation: 356

Nov 1, 2011, 12:39 PM
    The nice thing about the consumer laptop industry right now is that margins are so thin, you're getting what you pay for.

So...

I think your looking for a Core i5 laptop, and the minimum specs I would look for would be 4G of RAM, a 300G Hard Drive, and a video card like the NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M.

Many of these options are a function of yor budget. You'll find cheaper and more expense machines that have the Core i5 CPU in them.

I think the video card is the most sensitive item. Anything will be fine for writing papers, but modern games may not run too well if you don't choose a better card, and laptop video cards aren't that great to begin with.

I'd also recommend you get an external hard drive to backup your school work on.
    lordwispa Posts: 77, Reputation: 2

Nov 1, 2011, 12:52 PM
    Thank you Philysteakandcheese, that helps a lot, I have a perspective now.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pipe Specifications [ 1 Answers ]

What does SDR 13.5 CL 315 PVC MEAN?

Specifications for IP Cameras [ 2 Answers ]

I need to add IP cameras to my 'warehouse' area. What do I need to look for as far as camera specifications go. I need some that have good resolution then I can use some that do not have to be that great. The good resolution ones will have cover an area of about 8' x 8' x 6'. The not so great...

View more questions Search