Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Littlezummerme Posts: 21, Reputation: 2

Nov 1, 2011, 10:30 AM
    Will I be free from parents after high school?
    Okay right now I'm 14 almost 15 and I'm a freshman in High school Now I don't go to normal school I go to a online school. So I can go as fast or slow as I want. Now if I pass high school before I hit 16 (because I'm going really fast) will my parents still have control over me? Will I be free to do and go were I want? Will I have to go to Collage as soon as I finish high school even if I'm 16?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Nov 1, 2011, 10:35 AM
    Where? It varies by State. You cannot be emancipated (on your own) in most States until you are 18 unless you are self supporting, have your own place to live, have finished your education at an earlier age.

Your choice whether to go to College is basically that - your choice.

As long as you live in their house, no matter how old you are, your parents will probably have control over you.

Why do you go to an online school?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 1, 2011, 10:37 AM
    Who will pay for college?

(And yes, you can go to college at 16 -- and even if you're ten years old, if the college accepts you).

Nov 1, 2011, 11:38 AM
    I go to an online school In Colorado. Im on the online school because my parents made me because they don't want me to have drama. Im just curious if I end up passing high school and finishing my senior year before I hit 18 will I be free to do what I want?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 1, 2011, 11:42 AM
    No, you won't be able to do what you want until you are 18.
    Uber Member

Nov 1, 2011, 11:50 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlezummerme View Post
    I go to an online school In colorado. Im on the online school because my parents made me because they dont want me to have drama. Im just curious if i end up passing high school and finishin my senior year before i hit 18 will i be free to do what i want?

I answered the "when you can do what you want" question earlier.

What drama are your parents avoiding? I thought your sister was the dramatic one in your family.

Do you like online school? I would think you must be very dedicated and focused - it would seem that it would be easy to blow off the courses.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 1, 2011, 01:40 PM
    No, you are still under your parents, and in fact after you are 18, unless you move out of your parents house, they can still control your coming and going, since it is their house.

Next online school ( often called home schooling) is very popular and often done for the benefit of the child.

Nov 1, 2011, 02:21 PM
    Im asking if since I have graduated to I have the freedom to leave home. Yes my sister causes a lot of drama and they know it but they don't want me causing drama. So I guess yea. I don't get that whole aspect but yea.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 1, 2011, 02:37 PM
    Just because you graduate from high school doesn't mean you are free to do whatever you want to do, especially if you are under 18.

What kind of drama are you talking about? Have you ever caused drama?

Nov 1, 2011, 02:48 PM
    No my friends and some people hurt me in normal school. Im a geek so I get shoved in lockers and down stairs. I get picked on shanked and thrown things at. Im the silent geek who sits away from people. That's the drama that goes with me. My sister causes huge drama you no steal from a car. Framing things on me that I didn't do. Lying about money. Pretending to go to school but slacking and yea. That's her drama
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 1, 2011, 02:50 PM
    So how are you going to manage when you are back out in the world of work or college?

Nov 1, 2011, 02:51 PM
    Yes drama does get started with me but its little. In normal school I'm the silent geek with certaint friends. Because I'm a band geek super smart and all I get shoved in lockers down stairs into walls. Shanked poked things thrown at me and shoved in trashcans. My sister causes drama as in she steels blames things on people they didn't do. Starts fights lies about money and school and yea.
    RahhChelle Posts: 3, Reputation: -1

Nov 10, 2011, 12:27 AM
    Parents are legally in charge of you until you are 18 or graduate high school.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 10, 2011, 04:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by RahhChelle View Post
    Parents are legally in charge of you until you are 18 or graduate high school.
    Can you provide a site for the law to back that up? I don't believe that is correct. In CO the age of majority is 18. I don't see any proviso about finishing school.

Nov 15, 2011, 02:37 PM
    I don't have a law to back that up That's WHY IM ASKING... I just want to no if I am able to do that or do I have to be 18.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 15, 2011, 02:54 PM
    I dont have a law to back that up THATS WHY IM ASKING.... I just wana no if i am able to do that or do i have to be 18.
    Did you think I was responding to you? Look closely and you will see I was responding to another answer. Please read more carefully before you get angry.

And your question has been answered. The age of majority is 18.
    Uber Member

Nov 15, 2011, 04:26 PM
    I dont have a law to back that up THATS WHY IM ASKING.... I just wana no if i am able to do that or do i have to be 18.

Typing in caps is the same as shouting. Scottgem wasn't talk to you (which you would realize if you read what was posted). There is no need to "shout" at the very people who are trying to help you.

Scott asked a very legitimate question to someone who posted very incorrect information.

Your question was answered. Is your attitude responsible for some of the problems in your life? Is this why you're in "on line" school instead of "normal" school - your words?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

There is a movie about High school students who take their parents hostage in side th [ 1 Answers ]

There is a movie about High school students who take their parents hostage in side the school. I think Matt Dillon played a roll but not sure. Can you help me?

Obtain a high school diploma for free [ 2 Answers ]

I want to know how I can get my high school diploma for free at no cost

How to get your high school diploma for free [ 2 Answers ]

I was wondering if anyone knows how I can get my high school diploma for free I know that there is a lot of sites saying that there free but they all have a fee you have to pay I don't have much money and I need my diploma without having to pay a lot of money or no money at all

View more questions Search