Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    BGracie Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 24, 2004, 05:39 PM
    Hard lump on cat
    My cat Sam (11yr) developed a limp about a month ago, had it 2 years ago and came back last month. Over the last month a large lump has come up at the top of his front left leg and he as bad limp now. He had x-rays, blood work which they said was inclusive and what to aspirate the lump. The lump almost feels like a large bone, which I had first thought he dislocated his leg. It is has gotten bigger, they but him on 8 mg of Medrol which I think was overdosing him so I cut it way back and he is going for an ultrasound on Tuesday at another vet. The X-rays a week ago were read and they came back they could not rule out cancer, mineralizing hematoma or soft tissue infection. I believe the distemper shot he got a month ago snow balled this into something. I'm at a loss any suggestions are appreciated, I've searched the net and everything and come up with nothing.
    kcm Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Oct 27, 2004, 02:35 PM
    hi there. It does seem strange that sam has had all these tests but they don't seem to have come up with any results or conclusive results. It would be nice to know the results of the ultrasound. As for the medrol the dosage is normally 1mg per kg. So you average 4 kg cat would be on a 4mg tablet once daily. But I'm in the uk and it might well be different. We call it medrone v here. I would probably stick to the dose your vet prescribed or if you are really unhappy go for a second opinion. If the x-rays and ultrasound still don't confirm anything about the lump they may be able to do a fine needle aspirate. Basically sticking a needle into the lump and sending it to the lab for examination. They can usually tell what cells are there. Hope all goes well.
    BGracie Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 27, 2004, 05:27 PM
    Thanks for the reply, Sam had an ultrasound yesterday, still would be considered unknown without an needle biopsy. They are leaning more toward the neoplasia since it came up so fast so the 2nd vet referred me to an oncologist which he see's next week. I was told a while back that once they break the skin or the tumor it would spread so I've been really worried about that biopsy. But then I'm praying for a miracle and that it ends up being just a calcium deposit. So I guess I'll have an answer next week.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lump Behind Ear? [ 19 Answers ]

Hello, I have descovered that I have a bump behind my right ear. It wasn't there until few days ago when I noticed it. When I touch it, its hard but does not hurt. I don't know what it may be, can some one please tell me what it could be and if I need to see a doctor. Thanks

Hard drive easy question! Help! And 1 hard one! [ 6 Answers ]

undefined I have two questions first is the hard one I tried out a trial version of "folder locker" which locks up and encrypts (I guess) your deata so no one else can see it when they are on your computer.. it also lkets you lock down entire drives.. so somehow I went to lock down my o drive and...

Lump under arm [ 1 Answers ]

Under my arm I have a growth... about the size of a golf ball a bit larger... went to clinic and got mamogram but didn't show so its just under my arm they didn't suggest any kind of dr. or referral of any kind... maybe not having ins. Didn't help with their volunteering info... also I noticed the...

Lump On Leg [ 4 Answers ]

I have a lump on my left leg. I don't have one on my right. The lump is hard. It is above my knee. I t is NOT painful at all. It is about 1 1/2 wide and 1 1/2 long. What should I do or should I be consernd? :confused:

A Lump? [ 1 Answers ]

This is kind of awkward... but, recently I found that I have a small lump on the inside of my.. ehm... butt? I have no idea what it is and am concerned it might be a tumor. I'm hoping that I am just jumping to conclusions and worrying about nothing, but it's bothering me. It doesn't hurt, or itch,...

View more questions Search