Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SweetEmmy Posts: 21, Reputation: 1

Oct 31, 2011, 06:43 AM
    Could anything happen if...
    I am wondering if I have a baby with my 3rd cousin, could there be any problems. I don't even know if he is even really related to me. He is my grandfathers brothers grandson. My mom says he is but I don't see how because my grandfather is her dad & his bro would be her uncle not mine. & then his daughter is my moms 1st cousin and her son is my moms 2nd cousin. So in turn hed be my 3rd cousin. I don't care what other have to say about what I choose to do with my life, my main question is if I have a baby with a 3rd cousin will there be any defects or problems. Etc.
    elscarta Posts: 118, Reputation: 20

Oct 5, 2013, 06:46 AM
    First of all he is your mum's 1st cousin once removed and your second cousin (see What's a Second Cousin vs. a First Cousin Once-Removed? | LiveScience) and since you both share a set of great-grandparents you are definitely related to him.

Secondly, you don't need to be related for your baby to have problems/defects as the majority of babies in the world with problems/defects are born to parents that are not related to each other. Being related just increases the chance of there being problems or defects.

Brothers and sisters share on average half their genes, 1st cousins share a quarter and 2nd cousins share an eighth, so unless there is a history (on your shared great-grandparents side) of possible problems/defects then it is not very likely that your baby will have problems/defects.

Speaking from experience, my parents are 2nd cousins and none of us (4 sisters and 2 brothers) have any problems/defects (that can attributed to our parents being related!).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can this happen? [ 3 Answers ]

I want to know how my daughters step father can be on disability and get a disability for my daughter $800.00 a month I did not think a step father could claim her and when I pay $400.00 a month child support this is in North Carolina

Nothing will happen between us, but I still really like him. [ 7 Answers ]

I see this boy once a week at a sort of youth club I am 14 and he is 17. He is in the sixth form at my school Thing is, I really fancy him and find myself thinking about him a lot. But to him I would be too young for anything to happen, and as far as I can tell he might be interested in some...

What's likely to happen? [ 1 Answers ]

Significant other has been charged in another state with 1 count of id theft in the first,and 9 counts of theft-1. they have been in the county jail for 15 days now. What are the odds that the state will actually extradite? By the way, that would be from Nevada to Washington.:( :confused:

Can this happen? [ 1 Answers ]

If my wife don't work can she still sponsor for me, and if she can sponsor and get someone to help her, can the sponsor be my relative?p.s my wife is an american citizen

What will happen? [ 3 Answers ]

I am only 17 years old. I was with my husband for 2 years before we got married in April of this year. I got pregnant at 16 by my husband. He cheated through text messaging and he is leaving me my one year old daughter and I am 8 months pregnant? What kind of help could I get? I NEED HELP

View more questions Search