Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    loverboy Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Feb 6, 2007, 11:28 PM
    Uvula surgery
    My son who is now 5 yrs old was born with a double uvula. (uvula is the small fleshy thing that hangs at the back of the throat). His double uvula doesn't cause him any problems, he eat well, sleeps well and besides a very active child. The only problem is that some people say his has nasal speech, I frankly can't hear that, maybe because I'm used to him.

We once brought him to a maxiofacial surgeon who said that a simple surgery can be done to correct it. This coming Friday he will undergo surgery.

Now for who knows about this please help me with these questions.

1. do they unlock the lower jaw bone to perform this sugery because I've heard that once you unlock the jaw is doesn't come back as stable as before.

2. is it safe for a child of 5 yrs to undergo anaestetics?

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Worried father.
    BMudd Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 8, 2010, 07:06 PM
    I was born with a double uvula, almost 45 years ago. I have never had any problems whatsoever, including with my speech. My grandfather also had a double uvula. He lived well into his 70s with no problems. Many children need help with their speech and it has nothing at all to do with their uvulas. I believe that doctors invent reasons to do surgery. Since this was written years ago, I can only hope, for your son's sake, that no problems arose from this unnecessary surgery. Or even better, you got a second opinion that prevented you from letting your son undergo this surgery. Either way, I hope all is well.
    strybos Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 12, 2012, 09:03 AM
    I also have had the same thing for 33 years with no problems and in fact don't snore like my father or brother from it and it has always been something fascinating to friends as well.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Plastic surgery [ 4 Answers ]

I want to know about expenditures of plastic surgery on chickenpox marks on face

TMJ surgery? [ 4 Answers ]

I was diagnosed with TMJ a few years ago and was told that I would need to get surgery to correct it. The pain comes a few times a year but its nothing serious but you can tell that my jaw is moving and my top teeth don't touch my bottom teeth(partly because I was a finger sucker when I was...

Plastic surgery [ 2 Answers ]

I have been doing a lot of research on plastic sergery in Brazil. The dr. I have been talking to seems really great but I don't know him and Brazil is a long ways from the U.S.A. I have seen his before and after pictures and they look amazing and I have done a lot of work in losing 140 lbs and I...

Surgery on my doxie [ 2 Answers ]

It's me again, I took my dog (1-1/2 year old mini doxie) to the vet because of vomiting, dehydration, not eating or drinking. That was 2-1/2 weeks ago and I'm still dealing with issues. She's eating and drinking without vomiting. She's very lathargic and she's very nasil. When she breathes it...

View more questions Search