Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jjong Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Oct 24, 2004, 12:48 PM
    No Sounds
    No Sounds After Getting Desktop OEM “Help”!

Hello, hoping someone could help me on this major sound ssue.

Running Windows XP on an old Compaq Presario 5000a. Using Soundblaster Audigy MP3+ for about a year and recently updated drivers. Sound was working before I called Compaq/HP on a memory issue. After working with them I’ve found there are no system sounds at all. No sounds from cds or dvds, although I get video. I have a cd drive (TDK Velocd) and dvd drive (Dynex) that don’t automatically recognize formats anymore. Connections were not changed from before their assistance. Their conclusion after I called back and told them of my new experience: Use Quick Restore cds, (which I am cautious of doing if there are other solutions that I might not have tried yet. Perhaps something with the BIOS settings).

What I did so far:
    Checked all volume levels
    Checked all connections
    Checked for system sounds
    Checked correct device selected for audio playback (Audigy)
    Checked devices and Sound, Video and Game Controllers in Device Manager (states all is running well)
    Uninstalled and restarted reinstalled all drivers
    Unplugged interior/ exterior connections with soundcard and cd and dvd drives, reconnected, started up again.
    System Restore to point before getting Compaq “help”

None has worked so far.

Please help if you’ve got any ideas.

Thanks,
    Jason

Oct 28, 2004, 08:15 AM
    Anyone need more info? In the right forum?
    murph Posts: 15, Reputation: 2

Nov 14, 2004, 12:28 PM
    The forums you are in are fine. I would have maybe put this question in hardware or multimedia.
    You haven't mentioned anything about checking the integrity of your actual cabling or your speakers.
    I'm guessing you've sorted the problem now as this post is a few weeks old. If not, try the above.

Nov 15, 2004, 12:47 AM
    Hello. Actually checking cable was the first thing I did. I think problems occurred after working on memory issues with Compaq. Nothing helped after restoring to a point before changes. Any other ideas? Thank you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Toilet Making air sounds [ 9 Answers ]

Hello, We have been living in our brand new home for 5 weeks and we just started noticing that our toilets was making air sounds and the water would sometimes lower and then return to normal level. It would seem like there is air/pressure in the line somewhere. I don't know a lot about how the...

Horn sounds /water [ 1 Answers ]

Hi... trumpet sounds are heard every time we flush, turn on the water etc. It is getting worse. What is the problem and can we fix it? Teddybear42

No Sounds [ 1 Answers ]

No Sounds After Getting Desktop OEM “Help”! Hello, hoping someone could help me on this major sound ssue. Running Windows XP on an old Compaq Presario 5000a. Using Soundblaster Audigy MP3+ for about a year and recently updated drivers. Sound was working before I called Compaq/HP on a memory...

Log on off Sounds [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I would like to change the log on sound byte for users on my PC . Also is there a way to add a log off sound byte as well? Win 2000 pro Thanks

View more questions Search