Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    xhuliana Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Oct 30, 2011, 04:38 AM
    Rewrite these questions into indirect questions.
    1-What other changes have there been in the last 100 years?
    2-Do you think the quality of life in general is better now than it used to be?
    3-Can computers ever replace teachers?
    4-Do you agree that there are too many cars?
    5-In what ways has life changed for you in the last few years?
    6-What do you think will be the biggest changes in the next 100 years?
    janeyrey Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 1, 2011, 10:11 AM
    Somebody asked what other changes there had been in the last 100 years.
    They asked if the quality of life in general was better then than it had used to be.
    They asked if computers could ever replace teachers.
    They asked me if I agreed with the ideea that there were too many cars.
    She asked me in what ways life had changed for me in the last few years.
    He asked me what the biggest changes would be in the following 100 years.

Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 1, 2011, 10:19 AM
    "Indirect questions do not close with a question mark but with a period. Like direct questions they demand a response, but they are expressed as declarations without the formal characteristics of a question. That is, they have no inversion, no interrogative words, and no special intonation. We can imagine, for example, a situation in which one person asks another, 'Are you going downtown?' (a direct question). The person addressed does not hear and a bystander says, 'He asked if you were going downtown.' That is an indirect question. It requires an answer, but it is expressed as a statement and so is closed by a period, not a query." (Thomas S. Kane, The New Oxford Guide to Writing. Oxford Univ. Press, 1988)

Indirect questions in English

If you want to ask a question that is quite sensitive, try using one of the indirect phrases below:

Can you tell me…
    Could you tell me…
    I'd be interested to hear…
    I'd like to know…
    Would you mind telling me…

These questions are followed by either about, a "wh word" or if. Then you add the subject, then the sentence.

Direct and Indirect Questions in English

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Are You Pregnant Or Think You Are? Have Questions? Post New Questions Here.. [ 21 Answers ]

Hi and welcome to the forum. If you think you might be pregnant, or are pregnant, post your questions here, as the other thread is getting so large that it's hard to keep them organized. Also, if you are a teen and have questions and/or fears, let us know and we'll help as best as we can, or find...

What is fixed direct costs, indirect costs, semi indirect? It's so confusing. [ 3 Answers ]

Can someone please help me. I am stuck on one question that is stopping me finishing my final assignment. I need three examples each off: Direct Costs Variable indirect costs Fixed direct costs fixed indirect costs semi variable direct costs semi variable indirect costs I am getting...

Me and my boyfriend play 20 questions and I need questions [ 3 Answers ]

We play 20 questions a lot and I ran out of questions help

Budgeted indirect ccost, actual indirect cost rate [ 2 Answers ]

I don't understand how to do this one, can someone help me? Job costing, normal and actual costing. Anderson Construction assembles residential houses. It uses a job-costing system with two direct-cost categories (direct materials and direct labor) and one indirect-cost pool (assembly support)....

View more questions Search