Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    LDRobinson Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Feb 6, 2007, 09:18 PM
    Can an open ground reading on a grounded circuit mean a 240V line?
    Hi, folks - wondering if someone can help me out. I'm getting an "open ground" reading on a wall outlet which is being fed by 12/2-grounded romex cable. The cable is grounded at the panel, so I'm not sure why I should be getting an open ground reading.

This line is for an electric baseboard heater, and someone tapped into it to put in a wall outlet. Is it possible that this is a 240 volt circuit, and would that cause an "open ground" reading on a Sperry 3-prong tester meant for 120V?

By the way, the outlet works with a fluorescent light plugged into it, but I haven't tried using any other appliances/devices in it, and I'm worried about doing so if it's possible this is a 240V line.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Feb 7, 2007, 02:58 AM
    Most baseboard heat is 240 volts. Tapping into this 240 volt circuit for a 120 volt outlet is not allowed, so if someone did that, they probably did a few other things wrong, such as use the ground for the neutral at the outlet, and not use it as a ground at the outlet.

I cannot tell you how the outlet tester will act if connected to a 240 volt circuit, it would probably burn out quickly.

You need to stop using this outlet until you are sure how it is wired. Find out if the heat circuit is 120 or 240 volts. Look at the heater for a nameplate that lists the voltage, or find the breaker that serves it. If the breaker is a 2 pole, then it is 240 volts.

If it is a 1 pole then it is 120 volts. Then you need to find the junction box the outlet is tapped into and repair the ground.
    LDRobinson Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Feb 7, 2007, 08:27 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tkrussell
    Most baseboard heat is 240 volts. Tapping into this 240 volt circuit for a 120 volt outlet is not allowed, so if someone did that, they probably did a few other things wrong, such as use the ground for the neutral at the outlet, and not use it as a ground at the outlet.
    You got that right. It could be a full time job just going around and fixing all the things the previous owner did wrong: 20A circuits with some 12/2 and some 14/2 wiring on the same circuit, with 15A outlets to boot; Romex cable incorrectly "grounded" to the box (i.e. the ground wire bent back and clamped under the NM connector, but not grounded, or wrapped around a screw on the box, but without the box being grounded... the list goes on and on.

I've checked the heater and panel as you suggested, and it looks like it's definitely 240V. Not sure why the fluorescent light still works, but maybe it's rated for up to 240V. Anyway, looks like I'm going to have to remove that outlet.

Cheers,
    LDR

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Install new ground wire for non-grounded receptacles [ 5 Answers ]

I am planning on running grounds to my upstairs plugs that are currently K&T with the two hole groundless plugs. Question is, can I run several of the grounds into a centrally located j-box and then just run one larger ground back to the panel? I can't imagine running a separate wire for...

Hot/Ground Reverse Reading - URGENT! [ 2 Answers ]

I thought I submitted this question, but it doesn't seem to have gone through. I'm trying it again... Hi, folks! I hope someone can help me out with a weird electrical problem I'm having. I'm a pretty experienced do-it-yourselfer, and have tackled some pretty major home electrical projects....

240v Electrical circuit testing [ 1 Answers ]

I have replaced a celling light in my kitchen. The replacement light has a stainless steel casing, however the wiring circuit in the house has no earth at the celing, so I have not connected an earth. It has 2x black wires , 2x red wires ( switching & connected together ) & 1x black wire with a red...

240V Halogen GU10 Mains on a 120V Circuit ? [ 5 Answers ]

I recently came across some GE 240V halogen bulbs in England, they are a GU10 type base and MR16 size/shape/type(?) bulb. They are not available in North America yet and having been available for some time in the UK and Europe, it doesn't look promising they will be on the market here anytime...

Open ground when neutral not touching ground [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I was moving around a room and noticed my wife wanted her desk elsewhere. I decided to, since she would have her computer on it, check the outlet she would be moving to. It seemed old so I changed it. I noticed before I changed it that with my GFCI tester, all sockets on this circuit were...

View more questions Search