Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jackhandle2 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 6, 2007, 09:12 PM
    Cement board
    I plan on installing cement board behind a wood burning open stove on an outside deck.
    Do I need backing behing the cement board and can it be colored using high temp paint?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 7, 2007, 09:00 AM
    Cement board is pretty strong material but it is not designed to be exposed to the eliments. Sounds like you are trying to protect a flamible surface from the heat of the stove. I once did this by making a low wall of stacked bricks. It looked pretty good and protecetd the wood railings but you could not lean on it. A friend of mine later improved the wall by glueing the bricks with a caulk tube morter.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Taping cement board joints [ 6 Answers ]

Does anyone know what kind of compound to use on cement board?I've checked the USG FAQ site and they recommend 'glass tape for the joints, I see no mention of compound, other than to say that joint compound is not acceptable because cb is generally used in damp areas and the joint compound won't...

Wallpaper over cement board [ 1 Answers ]

Can I wallpaper over new cement board and if so, how do I prepare the board? Thanks.

Cutting Out Cement [ 1 Answers ]

MJBreakey New Member Join Date: Oct 2006 Posts: 0 Moving a drain -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I need to move my roughed-in Toilet drain in my basement floor. The house was built in 1978. I was reading your responses to others...

Can I Paint over Cement Board? [ 2 Answers ]

My husband and I are installing (or reinstalling, actually) a shower in the basement. I am tiling the walls and floor, but I don't want to tile the ceiling. Can we use some of the left-over cement backerboard for the ceiling and paint it? I'd rather use the cement board because of it's water...

Moisture barrier under cement board in shower [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I'm framing in a new stall shower, have looked at web sites on the subject and most experts suggest putting a moisture barrier under the cement board. I can see why that would be good. One company, which produces a thick (15 mil) membrane for this application, also shows a detail in which a...

View more questions Search