Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bigfoot1944 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 28, 2011, 01:17 PM
    Loud bang when Toilet shut off closes after use.
    When the toilet valve finishes (closes) after the toilet is flushed the pipe from the toilet to the wall bangs and shakes. I do not recall this happening in the past so it has just started. Is something wrong and should I be concerned?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 28, 2011, 02:07 PM
    Is there any other cold water faucets that make a bang when shut off? Back to you, Tom
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Oct 28, 2011, 04:23 PM
    What style of fill valve do you have. I have seen the fluidmasters cause this when the float mechanisms get a little sticky. Instead of the float slowly going up with the rising water, it sticks until it get just about buried with water then slams up shutting the water feed off very quickly (essentually making a quick closing valve out of a slow closing valve, and in turn causing water hammer in your pipes.) I have found the best fix is to simply replace the compete fill valve.
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Oct 28, 2011, 06:35 PM
    Hello Bigfoot,

Please respond to Tom and Mygirlsdad, see the image below and tell us which one is you fill valve, Thanks.

John
    Attached Images

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Loud Bang when AC turns on or off [ 11 Answers ]

My wife and I have noticed a loud bang (can hear it anywhere in the whole house) every time our AC kicks on, or shuts down. It is a relatively new sound (just noticed it this spring). I'm pretty sure it was not making this sound ever in the past. This is different than the audible click that...

Toilet makes a loud BANG after being flushed [ 7 Answers ]

Hello - I think I have water hammer but I an unclear as to how to fix it! I live in a 16 year old house, and every time I flush one of the toilets upstairs it flushes fine but when finished filling, it makes a very loud bang! I don't want any problems with pipes, so I am wondering how to fix this? ...

After Toilet tank repair -- LOUD bang on opening shut-off valve [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, My toilet tank has been overflowing recently and I discovered 2 problems. The overflow pipe is too tall for the tank, but I'll leave that problem for later. On an intermittent basis the float cup appears to get stuck allowing the tank to over fill and spill over. I turned off the...

Occasional loud bang in pipe near water heater/toilet [ 15 Answers ]

This is a long description but I'm desperate: We installed a new water heater 6 months ago. Just to give you a mental picture: we live in a townhouse where the water heater is in a closet right next to a bathroom on the second floor, and the main water line (with a pressure regulator) is on...

Loud bang in the basement after flushing the toilet [ 7 Answers ]

After I flush the toilet and the water went down the drain, a few moments later I hear a loud banging noise from the basement. I did some reading and it is suggested that I may have a water hammer. However the water hammer is normally associated with a closing valve which is not the case here. The...

View more questions Search