Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Nazzareno2 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 28, 2011, 07:22 AM
    Tree repairs using cement at the base of the trunk?
    Hi.. We have a white pine which is about 20 years old and the bark is pulling away from it at the base and starting to rot... so, I cleaned off the rotten bark and put a thin coat of cement over the area. Is this okay or should I have done something else ? Leo
    KUXJ Posts: 975, Reputation: 97

Dec 10, 2011, 12:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Nazzareno2 View Post
    Hi ..We have a white pine which is about 20 years old and the bark is pulling away from it at the base and starting to rot...so, I cleaned off the rotten bark and put a thin coat of cement over the area. Is this okay or should I have done something else ? Leo
    Hi Leo, welcome to AMHD! :)

You did not mention your location, but you will most likely find that after time the differences of expansion, and contraction in the two dissimilar materials (wood, and concrete), your repair will fall away from the tree.

It is usually best to just remove as much of the damaged tree material as you can, keep the wound protected with a screen like material, and then let the tree try to repair itself.

Depending on its location, and condition you may have to consider removal.

See this link for advice:
    TCIA | Tree Care Industry Association Staff

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hole in tree trunk right below ground level [ 0 Answers ]

Hello, I found a hole in my ornemental Camellia tree that is right below ground level which was full of ants and mold. I killed the ants and scraped the mold off as much as I could and sprayed a tar-like material in it. The hole is about 6" deep and 6" wide and the top of it is at ground level....

Repair for large pecan trees with holes in tree trunk base [ 0 Answers ]

Two very old pecan trees have a large hole indented in the trunk base. There ae several dead branches at the top. We've had severely cold winters and with extended freezes and extremely hot summers in north Florida in the past 2-3 years. We water the yard, but have drought conditions during the...

Repair of hole in large tree trunk [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I live in deep south Texas. I have read several comments about using Rocktite expanding cement and asphalt for filling/repairing holes in trees. I have an Ash tree with several trunks that has started with a hole from where a limb had been cut off. It is about 8" x 12" and has a colony of...

Young Maple Tree with Trunk Wound [ 1 Answers ]

A maple tree I had planted six years ago appears to have damage to one side of the trunk near the ground, this is not new damage; the outer layers are gone and the heartwood can be felt. I haven't noticed if the tree is forming a callous around it yet but the tree appears to have grown up about...

View more questions Search