Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    HarleyRed Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Oct 27, 2011, 08:57 PM
    Applying for jobs online
    I am 56 years young . I have been unemployed since 2009. Before that was in banking . Drive-thru teller for 8 years.

I have been out of work due to moving and getting married and my husband is self-emploed and I have been helping him out but want to get out and work somewhere and do something even if part-time. I have been trying to get customer service and or cashier jobs and most places now want you to apply on-line. No more going in person first and or submitting your application and or resume' in person. Seems though I must be doing something wrong? They give you these assessment tests or whatever you want to call them and I must be failing them or something unless its my age? Playing into this? I just applied to H&R Block and same thing had to take this test and was applying to be a client services person . I have extensive customer service experience and cashier experience as well... good references etc. So only thing I can think of is I am failing these stupid tests but now I am the stupid one? Any suggestions as to what I can do. I don't like the fact that you don't get to speak and or meet anyone in person now. You use to be able to go and meet and sell yourself and your skills and make your impressions first hand but now all this? So got a nice email back from them basically saying in a roundabout way... I'm assuming I failed... ugh...
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 27, 2011, 09:03 PM
    According to an article I read the other day, employers really want to hire older workers who have experience, show up on time, and give an honest day's work.

I have ideas for you, but first -- are you in a rural area, in a middle-sized town, or in a city? I'm guessing you are in the U.S.

Oct 27, 2011, 10:04 PM
    Hi... well in New Jersey... and anywhere I live I consider rural... lol... dont drive and never have so I have to look close to home as publice tranportation is limited and the walk to the bus would be long so basically my hubby would drive me until I settle in somewhere and then hopefully can hitch a ride and pay someone gas money. I honestly think I am failing these tests that they are giving.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 27, 2011, 10:25 PM
    Northern NJ? Sussex or Warren County, by any chance?

Oct 28, 2011, 06:21 AM
    Lol... no further down... Ocean County
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 28, 2011, 07:07 AM
    Oh, good. That's better populated than up in the northwest.

Have you applied at a library yet? NJ's library system is a county one and does hire people who do not have library degrees, especially at the front desk where much of the public contact takes place.

Do you apply "cold" too in person and watch for job ads?

Do you have a resume or just fill out an application?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

H1B Visa Holder - applying tax online [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am a H1B visa holder who worked in New York state for less than 120 days in year 2009. I am still in US. Can I apply for tax returns online? Thanks.

Applying online for jobs [ 11 Answers ]

What are some good job websites? Particularly ones that provide an email address or phone number to easily contact them. I've exhausted Craig's List... any others? Thank you in advance.

Applying for Jobs [ 12 Answers ]

Hey Everyone, Well I'm applying for summer jobs at a bunch of fast-food restaurants that are highering. I just wanted to know how long does it normally take for them to call you back? Thanks!

View more questions Search