Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    zachara356 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 6, 2007, 06:17 PM
    York Furnace stops heating during the day?
    Here is my story

I have a York furnace and a Honeywell thermostat. I've run into a situation where either I don't know how to use a thermostat( its electronic) or something is wrong with my furnace.

Previously, I would set my temperature on the thermostat and keep it on Auto. From there, the furnace would heat up to the desired temp and then stop. A few minutes later it would start up again and so on an so forth. This works fine as far as I can tell. Then last week, I had worked late and came home and found my home cold. So I checked my furnace and saw a blinking light on it only flashing once. The code only says to "check furnace". So I don't know what to check. Anyway, I just flipped the switch to turn the furnace off and on. After that, the furnace started working again. Things worked fine until yesterday when the same thing scenario played out when I came home from work, House was cold, and the furnace had the same light flashing on it. So I flipped the switch again and it worked again. Today, the same result as yesterday.

I know on my thermostat there is a setting to hold the temperature for a set number of days, but I didn't think that was necessary. The furnace is weird because it seems to kick on so much with the Auto setting(by so much I mean about 3 or 4 minutes after reaching the desired temp, it will kick back on again.), I wonder if something is getting burnt out. I had read somewhere that perhaps switching the fan from "Auto" to "always on" is good for the furnace too?

Part of the problem too is it is colder downstairs where the thermostat is than upstairs where the furnace is.

There is some ignorance on my part as at my parents house where I lived all my life, we had baseboard heat and central air conditioning. I have never dealt with Central Heat. I just moved into a condo a few months ago where this issue is occurring.

Basically I have no idea what to do. I would like to avoid having a professional come out since money is kind of tight at the moment. So I come here asking if anyone has any ideas or suggestions.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Steve
    cjv Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 9, 2007, 10:07 AM
    I don't have an answer, but I am experiencing a similar issue with my York furnace that's about 10 years old. It tends to randomly shut off sometime during the night and then randomly come back on during the day. Once on, it will usually function properly for a few hours. Technicians have replaced the circuit board, flame sensor and thermostat. Usually when it shuts off I get no LED indicator lights flashing on the furnace so the techs must think I'm nuts. I'm not trying to hijack your post, I just wanted to let you know that you are not alone with this. Also, different techs have told me that Yorks are notorious for suffering from frequent, minor problems and that they are a pain to work on. Its been about a week now and I have not been able to correct this problem, but I will post here again once everything is working (hopefully soon).

Chris
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Mar 9, 2007, 10:27 AM
    I think you both would do well to read the sticky at the top of the forum. Then post back and let us know you found and fixed the problem, or ask for help on specific details. Intermittents can be tough.
    T-Top Posts: 1,871, Reputation: 100
    Ultra Member

Mar 9, 2007, 05:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by zachara356
    Here is my story

I have a York furnace and a Honeywell thermostat. I've run into a situation where either I don't know how to use a thermostat( its electronic) or something is wrong with my furnace.

Previously, i would set my temperature on the thermostat and keep it on Auto. from there, the furnace would heat up to the desired temp and then stop. A few minutes later it would start up again and so on an so forth. This works fine as far as I can tell. Then last week, I had worked late and came home and found my home cold. So I checked my furnace and saw a blinking light on it only flashing once. The code only says to "check furnace". So I don't know what to check. Anyway, I just flipped the switch to turn the furnace off and on. After that, the furnace started working again. Things worked fine until yesterday when the same thing scenario played out when I came home from work, House was cold, and the furnace had the same light flashing on it. So I flipped the switch again and it worked again. Today, the same result as yesterday.

I know on my thermostat there is a setting to hold the temperature for a set number of days, but I didn't think that was necessary. The furnace is weird because it seems to kick on so much with the Auto setting(by so much I mean about 3 or 4 minutes after reaching the desired temp, it will kick back on again.), I wonder if something is getting burnt out. I had read somewhere that perhaps switching the fan from "Auto" to "always on" is good for the furnace too?

Part of the problem too is it is colder downstairs where the thermostat is than upstairs where the furnace is.

There is some ignorance on my part as at my parents house where I lived all my life, we had baseboard heat and central air conditioning. I have never dealt with Central Heat. I just moved into a condo a few months ago where this issue is occurring.

Basically I have no idea what to do. I would like to avoid having a professional come out since money is kind of tight at the moment. So I come here asking if anyone has any ideas or suggestions.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Steve
    Its not the thermostat if the light on the furnace is blinking for service. Check the backside of the blower door it should tell you how to receive the fault code to let you know what is wrong.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

GE Profile Harmony Electric Dryer stops heating [ 2 Answers ]

I have a GE Profile Harmony electric dryer that is not working correctly since moving into a new house. Basically, it will work for a couple of loads, then will no longer get hot or blow air out of the vent. I have checked that the 220 is still working when it stops heating so that is not the...

York furnace [ 1 Answers ]

Furnace works fine then turns off when house warms up to temp. will not come back on until I turn furnace off and on . Code flashes one time saying system lock out. What should I do ? Thanks mario

Old york gas furnace [ 2 Answers ]

Hi my name is pete I have a old york gas furnace not the newer type with the circuit board I need a wiring diagram for a typical york gas furnace.I installed a new blower motor and thermostat,new gas valve and cleaned all components.gas ignites but blower won't come on if thermostat is on auto but...

Heating element stays on after drum stops [ 8 Answers ]

To stop the dryer we often open the door. When I open the door the drum stops turning. The heating element remains on. If I turn the timer to off the heating elelment will go off. If I set the timer to on the heating element starts immediately before pushing the button to start the drum. What...

Furnace squeals but then stops [ 5 Answers ]

The past several months my forced air furnace would all of a sudden start making this high pitched chirping sound and then get even louder throughout the night. When we would shut it off it would squeal until it shut off completely making us think it was a belt. We had used wd-40 and it seems to...

View more questions Search