Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lmk001 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 27, 2011, 10:47 AM
    Can your employer terminate you before you return from LOA?
    My employer called me into work under the pretense "to talk" when I was on LOA before my release date from the doctor. My employer then proceeded to terminate my employment for job performance, however, refused to prvide any specific details. Can they legally even speak to me before my return to work date and do I have a basis for a law suit?
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Oct 28, 2011, 04:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by lmk001 View Post
    ... Can they legally even speak to me before my return to work date and do I have a basis for a law suit?
    Of course your employer can call you when you are on leave. Anyone who knows your number can. If you don't want to talk, then don't answer the phone.

And no, you don't have a basis for a lawsuit. In most if not all places, employment is "at will". Your employer doesn't need a reason to let you go.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 28, 2011, 05:29 PM
    What type of leave of absence ? Was it company paid ? Did you apply though any federal leave program ?
    Was there work performance issues ( really) before you went on leave ?

But most likely they can, in some cases they have to wait till you come back from leave and then fire you.

You had no obligation to go in and talk to them, that was your choice
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Oct 31, 2011, 07:39 AM
    Did you have a union or employment contract? What State?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Oct 31, 2011, 08:19 AM
    I agree that, if you are an at will employee, you can be terminated for no reason. However, your employer gave cause, performance, so you may have more options. Please answer everyone's questions and also surf your state's Fair Labor Board so see if you have been wronged.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can an employer grill you for details on your medical condition when you are on LOA? [ 2 Answers ]

I was on LOA and stopped into the office to drop off paperwork. Each time I was continuously harassed about my condition. (IE, dr appts, medicines, other forms of treatments, when was I returning to work) Is this not a violation of my HIPAA rights?

My employer won't let me return to work. What are my rights? [ 5 Answers ]

I work in England. I am currently employed in a large national company. I have been on long-term sick for approximately six months. I have been employed for the last four years and work part-time. I now have a "fit for work" note from my GP however my employed insists on an independent medical...

Backdate termination while on loa [ 5 Answers ]

I was a probationary employee for 6 months. I broke both arms and was placed on LOA. My employer called and told me I had been terminated under the probationary period on April 30 09. My actual 6 months was on 4/16/09. I've received no cobra or correspondence from the employer until 5/7/09...

Computation of loa limit [ 1 Answers ]

How can I compute the electrical load of a building intended for office space with some industrial machine in use

Relocation need to return to employer [ 1 Answers ]

I received $10000 taxable amount from my employer as lump sum relocation bonus in Nov'2005. I signed up a letter with the employer that I need to stay with the company at least for a year. Now I will be changing my job in Feb because of some issues, my employer has deducted tax at 40% rate from...

View more questions Search